Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Johannes <jo...@posteo.de> on 2015/05/07 19:54:49 UTC

userfriendly failed client authentification

Hello.

I'm using Tomcat 7.0.with Java 7.0.
I'm trying to create a webapp with needs a client certifiacte
authentification.
Normal client certifiacte authentfication works well and I can compute
the desired certificate data. The clientauth parameter in the https
connector is set to false. In my webapp is a security-constraint
registred for a url space, like  /secure/*.

If authentifications fails, a ugly browser error page occurs. A new
authentification try can only be attempt after reopen the browser.

I already noticed setting server wide clientauth to "want", I receive a
tomcat 401 http error page (which can be customized) if no client
certificate was found on a protected resource. But entering a bad
passphrase shows a ugly browser error page again.

Is there a way to deal with that? I believe the user acceptance will be
low with that behavior.

Best regards Johannes.

Re: userfriendly failed client authentification

Posted by Johannes <jo...@posteo.de>.
Thanks for your reply.

This would be one possibility. I tried to realize this, but in some
cases a browser specific error page is displayed instead of a
customizable tomcat error page. For example if in the server.xml
clientauth="true" you dont get any http error codes.

OK, the http traffic happens after ssl authentification, so I can
imagine that this has good reasons.

But maybe there is a way...

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,