Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kim Evans <ke...@keaesolutions.com> on 2004/03/21 21:26:00 UTC

[users@httpd] localhost not working on XP

I am trying to install Apache 2.0.49 on my XP Professional system - Version
2002 Service Pack 1. All windows updates have been installed.
Through the installation wizard I set
Network Domain  to localdomain
server name to localhost
and left the for All users on Port 80'' button set.
The installation appeared to install OK and it began as a service.

When I go to the browser and input
 http://localhost
 http://localhost:80

I get no response - the system just hangs ie sits there for minutes with no
response.

What have I missed - I have re-installed a number of times with different
versions and have the same problem.

Thanks
Kim Evans

Re: [users@httpd] localhost not working on XP

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
At 06:59 PM 3/21/2004, Kim Evans wrote:

>ran the netstat it gave me
>TCP   kim01:http            kim01:0                  LISTENING        4000

  TCP    delliver:http          localhost:3484         TIME_WAIT

is what I got doing a netstat from the command line on my xp home box with
apache2 running. That's the line for apache that is so while I don't know
what it means I am running properly.

>Going to localhost didn't add anything to the error log
>The \etc\hosts file has the 127.0.0.1  localhost.

Looks ok, the first line of my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file says

127.0.0.1           localhost

Kim, in your httpd.conf file what do you have for the Listen and ServerName
directives? Also can you ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 from the command line?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
Web Installed Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml

Re: [users@httpd] localhost not working on XP

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 19:22, Kim Evans wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> I am running McAfee VirusScan.
> I dissabled it and ran without the directive and it gave the same no
> response.
>
> I tried putting the directive in the other version I had been trying to get
> to work. The httpd.conf files is the same, except the directories, and when
> I keyed in apache -k install I got the following error
> syntax error in httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'Win32DisableAcceptEx', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> module not included in the server configuration.
>
> Since I have your version working I will use that from now and eventually
> load the source.
>
> Kim

Kim,

I think the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive is new for Apache 2.0.49.
Perhaps the other version you have is older.

But if you have it working ... great!

I am still trying to recreate your error, but have not done so, so far.

Chris

Re: [users@httpd] localhost not working on XP

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Kim Evans <ke...@keaesolutions.com>.
Thanks Chris for all your efforts.
I will try that and let you know

Kim

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Kim Evans <ke...@keaesolutions.com>.
IIS is installed but I have disabled it under services, Similarly, I have
disabled QoS
How would I check for .NET - I don't think it is installed.

Kim

Posted by Tim Thorburn <im...@nwconx.net>.