Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2015/03/31 03:38:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Hello,

The Apache Ignite PPMC voted to release Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.0.

We now request the IPMC to vote on the release.

Here is the PPMC voting result form Apache Ignite IPMC (note that 2 votes
are from the IPMC members)

2 +1 (IPMC)
5 +1 (PPMC)

The dev list voting thread:
http://s.apache.org/N5N

All release artifacts have been uploaded here:
http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/incubator-ignite-1.0.0/

Please start voting.

+1 - to accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.0 release
0 - don't care either way
-1 - DO NOT accept Apache Ignite (incubating) 1.0 release (explain why)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
I'll do it later tonight if nobody beats me to it.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:03PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 31.03.2015 17:46, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> >> We've been through this and I disagree. Do not confuse release process
> >> with release naming. That page conflates the two, which makes it just a
> >> bit broken IMO. There are no rules for release naming "in Apache".
> > It would be more apparent that the podling has their release process under
> > control if the release-process-candidates being iterated on were clearly
> > differentiated using unambiguous directory names, Git tag names, etc.
> >
> > For example, the last vote could have been on...
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-RC3-rc2
> >   GIT tag release-1.0.0-RC3-rc2
> >
> > ... and this vote could have been on:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-rc0
> >   GIT tag release-1.0.0-rc0
> >
> > That's still a little hard to follow, but at least it distinguishes different
> > release-process-candidates from each other.
>
> Oh, that's a different matter entirely. Release process needs polishing
> and documenting (and scripting and automating), I agree; up to now, it's
> been mostly about getting the licensing stuff squared away. One step at
> a time. :)

Indeed!
  Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 31.03.2015 17:46, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 31.03.2015 16:00, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>>> 8) It would be good to avoid all those "RC RCs" as it's confusing to
>>> have multiple levels of release candidates - in Apache, a Release
>>> Candidate is this particular thing you are asking us to vote over.
>>> (this might have been pointed out earlier). A pre-release can be
>>> called anything else, like alpha, golden master, etc.
>>> https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>> We've been through this and I disagree. Do not confuse release process
>> with release naming. That page conflates the two, which makes it just a
>> bit broken IMO. There are no rules for release naming "in Apache".
> It would be more apparent that the podling has their release process under
> control if the release-process-candidates being iterated on were clearly
> differentiated using unambiguous directory names, Git tag names, etc.
>
> For example, the last vote could have been on...
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-RC3-rc2
>   GIT tag release-1.0.0-RC3-rc2
>
> ... and this vote could have been on:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-rc0
>   GIT tag release-1.0.0-rc0
>
> That's still a little hard to follow, but at least it distinguishes different
> release-process-candidates from each other.

Oh, that's a different matter entirely. Release process needs polishing
and documenting (and scripting and automating), I agree; up to now, it's
been mostly about getting the licensing stuff squared away. One step at
a time. :)

-- Brane

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 7:44 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 31.03.2015 16:00, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>> 8) It would be good to avoid all those "RC RCs" as it's confusing to
>> have multiple levels of release candidates - in Apache, a Release
>> Candidate is this particular thing you are asking us to vote over.
>> (this might have been pointed out earlier). A pre-release can be
>> called anything else, like alpha, golden master, etc.
>> https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>
> We've been through this and I disagree. Do not confuse release process
> with release naming. That page conflates the two, which makes it just a
> bit broken IMO. There are no rules for release naming "in Apache".

It would be more apparent that the podling has their release process under
control if the release-process-candidates being iterated on were clearly
differentiated using unambiguous directory names, Git tag names, etc.

For example, the last vote could have been on...

  http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-RC3-rc2
  GIT tag release-1.0.0-RC3-rc2

... and this vote could have been on:

  http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/ignite-1.0.0-rc0
  GIT tag release-1.0.0-rc0

That's still a little hard to follow, but at least it distinguishes different
release-process-candidates from each other.

I understand the rationales as to why Ignite might need an official release
called "1.0.0-RC3", but is there nothing that the podling can do about the
problem of voting on several different things all with the same name?  Is
the Ignite community clear on why that might cause problems?

During the PPMC vote thread for the last release, I see this exchange:

    > > GIT tag: release-1.0.0-RC3 (I deleted the old RC3 tag and created the
    > > new one)
    >
    > For the future, I recommend not moving a tag; instead, if a release
    > package is bad, just create the next highest numbered package; in this
    > case, it'd be RC4 (or more likely RC5, since this is the second
    > resubmission of the "same" package). Doing it this way avoids possible
    > misunderstandings about what is being proposed for release.

    I agree. Will do it next time. My hope though is to get a +1 for this one,
    so I won't have to :)

Yet here we are voting on something ambiguous again -- and predictably,
another person has gotten confused.  It doesn't block this VOTE, but I hope
that Ignite follows through and does things differently in the future.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Agree that release.html needs some polishing, and that there are no
hard rules on the versions (even "don't re-release the same version"
is not written down in letters).

Obviously it would still be confusing to vote over say RC2 of
1.0.0-RC3 and best avoided if possible.   This vote is luckily over
the proper 1.0.0 release - but I also spotted a 1.0.1-RC1 in the Maven
repositories.

On 31 March 2015 at 15:44, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 31.03.2015 16:00, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
>> 8) It would be good to avoid all those "RC RCs" as it's confusing to
>> have multiple levels of release candidates - in Apache, a Release
>> Candidate is this particular thing you are asking us to vote over.
>> (this might have been pointed out earlier). A pre-release can be
>> called anything else, like alpha, golden master, etc.
>> https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
>
> We've been through this and I disagree. Do not confuse release process
> with release naming. That page conflates the two, which makes it just a
> bit broken IMO. There are no rules for release naming "in Apache".
>
> -- Brane

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I change my vote to +1 (non-binding), fixing for next release is good
enough for me. :-)

Perhaps worth also checking that maven plugin (assembly?) and report
upstream - simply picking last <license> is a bit fragile.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
 ?

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:16 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > -0 because of required LGPL dependencies.
>
> I think we established that these were optional and thus allowed during
> the last release:
>
>     http://s.apache.org/vfN
>
>     As far as LGPL, to my knowledge, Ignite only has 2 optional LGPL
>     dependencies which are for the optional integration with the following
>     products:
>
>     - Hibernate ORM, http://hibernate.org/orm/
>     - JTS Topology Suite from VividSolutions for geospatial indexing,
>     http://www.vividsolutions.com/jts/JTSHome.htm

I want to confirm that the LGPL dependencies are optional and are not
included into the release. If you do a maven build with default settings,
then the resulting binary will not have LGPL in it.

The licenses are provided for the optional LGPL modules to let users know
that if they decide to build that module, they will have LGPL dependency in
their project.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
-0 because of required LGPL dependencies.

(As much as I would prefer LGPL dependencies to be allowed, they are not:
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html )

They are not technically *included* - so legally I think it is
passable for this release, as long as you only distribute this source
release - but it's still not good to have required runtime
dependencies on LGPL as it means anyone distributing binaries of
Apache Ignite will fall under the LGPL license requirements for
Combined Work.

You might want to be careful about putting the binary of
modules/urideploy in Maven - have you checked this with legal@apache?
(IANAL - others on this list might have many other views :) )

BUILD SUCCESS with Oracle JDK 7.

stain@biggie-utopic:/tmp/92/people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/incubator-ignite-1.0.0/incubator-ignite-1.0.0-src$
mvn -version
Apache Maven 3.3.1 (cab6659f9874fa96462afef40fcf6bc033d58c1c;
2015-03-13T20:10:27+00:00)
Maven home: /home/stain/software/maven
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_72/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "3.16.0-33-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

What is the license of javafx?

potentially dubious dependency licenses as reported by mvn
license:aggregate-add-third-party:

     (GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE) c3p0:JDBC
DataSources/Resource Pools (c3p0:c3p0:0.9.1 -
http://c3p0.sourceforge.net)

from modules/core
OK, only <scope>test</scope>

    (GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1) IRMI
(org.ow2.carol.irmi:irmi:1.1.2 - no url defined)
     (GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1) Java EE: JTA API
v1.1 (org.ow2.spec.ee:ow2-jta-1.1-spec:1.0-M1 - no
url defined)

from ./modules/jta
OK as it is <scope>test</scope> via jotm-core

BUT:

     (LGPL) (Unrestricted) edtFTPj (com.enterprisedt:edtFTPj:1.5.3 -
http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/edtftpj/overview.html)

from modules/urideploy/pom.xml

This one is -1 I am afraid :-(

Perhaps move modules/urideploy to the -Plgpl profile and modify modules/spring?

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

rather than at people.apache.org

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
No worries - sorta easy to check, but wanted to make sure

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Taylor,

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
A few notes that come to mind:

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> > wrote:

> >> others the opportunity to vote.
> >> point.

> vote.
> >> devote to Apache work.
> >>
> >> Very strong +1 to the above. Rushing a vote is never a good thing.
> >>

> > Got it. I guess no April-fools release for us :)
>
> I highly recommend this release candidate for April fools:
>    http://swtch.com/r.zip

Not funny... took me 100 tries to realize that the unzipping will never end
:)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.