Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> on 2003/03/05 16:06:42 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/test/org/apache/commons/httpclient

I agree, some splitting into packages would be good.  Along these lines
I was thinking of renaming all of the localhost test to just host.  The
test host could really be anywhere.

Mike

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Jeffrey Dever wrote:

 > We really have 3 different type of tests:
 > nohost: those that run entirely within the test JVM
 > remote: those that hit some number public internet resources
 > webapp: those that require the httpclient .war deployed in a container

Yes, quite so.

 > There is nothing special about the host that the webapp resides.  A
particular host is just as good as localhost: its just a configuration
property (with localhost as the default).  I could even see a point
where we had a public webapp server (like jakarta) that has release
versions of the .war deployed for the purpose of field testing.  Then
any user that downoladed a release version of httpclient could run the
tests without further setup on their part.

A public site with the webapps deployed is a great idea.  This could
also be used by Maven for the automated builds.  Speaking of which, we
should probably also add the "localhost" tests to Maven.

Mike

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/httpclient/src/test/org/apache/commons/httpclient

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
We really have 3 different type of tests:
nohost: those that run entirely within the test JVM
remote: those that hit some number public internet resources
webapp: those that require the httpclient .war deployed in a container

There is nothing special about the host that the webapp resides.  A
particular host is just as good as localhost: its just a configuration
property (with localhost as the default).  I could even see a point
where we had a public webapp server (like jakarta) that has release
versions of the .war deployed for the purpose of field testing.  Then
any user that downoladed a release version of httpclient could run the
tests without further setup on their part.

We can be very liberal in making changes to the test package.  The files
are not "released" and are not subject to the versioning guidlines.  Its
great to see a lot of attention paid to the tests.  They make up a good
part of the quality statement for HttpClient.

Jandalf.