Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/20 10:18:05 UTC

Lot control IDs and serial numbers for products

Is there some kind of lot control ID in OFBiz? I don't see any front-end forms sending parameters
"lotId" or "autoCreateLot" to the back. Lot records are created in
ProductionRunServices.productionRunProduce(), just FYI.

If not, any ideas for implementation before I begin? This I have to do right away; it doesn't seem
too complex.

What about serial numbers for serialized inventory? Will there be a single InventoryItem for each
serialized item? So, if I had 5 identical bicycle frames, I would have 5 InventoryItem records,
each with a unique(?) serial number? Are these serial numbers auto-generated somehow? Can they be?

TIA!

Jonathon

Re: Lot control IDs and serial numbers for products

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> wrote:

> Is there some kind of lot control ID in OFBiz? I
> don't see any front-end forms sending parameters
> "lotId" or "autoCreateLot" to the back. Lot records
> are created in
> ProductionRunServices.productionRunProduce(), just
> FYI.

Haven't used lotId myself, however there's an entity
"Lot" whose only relation is InventoryItem.  If that
method you referenced is creating lot records, it
should be fairly straightforward.

> If not, any ideas for implementation before I begin?
> This I have to do right away; it doesn't seem
> too complex.
>
> What about serial numbers for serialized inventory?
> Will there be a single InventoryItem for each
> serialized item? So, if I had 5 identical bicycle
> frames, I would have 5 InventoryItem records,
> each with a unique(?) serial number?

Correct.  If you have 5 bicycle frames with serial
numbers, they're not identical, now are they ;-)

> Are these
> serial numbers auto-generated somehow? Can they be?

I don't believe they are.  You could easily use
SequenceValueItem.  It doesn't need to only be
auto-number primary keys that it generates.