Posted to user@hive.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2012/02/01 21:21:55 UTC

Hive ODBC - Microsofts Involvement

Does anyone know if the driver Microsoft is talking about with their Azure
based hadoop/hive setup would work for connecting Windows applications
(Excel/.NET Web Apps etc) to Apache Hive running on Unix?  Looking for a
way to connect .NET Web apps to Hive for some process flow upgrades.

Thanks!

Re: Hive ODBC - Microsofts Involvement

Posted by "Tucker, Matt" <Ma...@disney.com>.
I haven't spent much time working with their ODBC driver, but I've had no problems with it on our CDH3u2 Hive server so far.

Functionality with SSIS and BIDS is my primary concern, so we can cut out FTP operations on both ends.

On Feb 1, 2012, at 9:41 PM, "John Omernik" <jo...@omernik.com>> wrote:

I see that, but will that hive ODBC driver work with a standard hive install, or will it be limited to Microsoft's cloud version of Hadoop/Hive?  Anyone tried the driver?

The Hive driver that Microsoft will be releasing is ODBC, so you should be able to interact with Hive just like you would with any other relational database.

Posted by Chris Shain <ch...@tresata.com>.
Btw, i tried it on CDH3 hive.

Posted by Chris Shain <ch...@tresata.com>.

Posted by "Sunderlin, Mark" <ma...@teamaol.com>.
>> Any reason you want to use a ODBC and not Thrift ?  Hive supports the thrift protocol. There are thrift libraries for C# and you can easily integrate it into your project for direct access to HIVE via your C# code.

ODBC opens Hive up for use through any number of Windows based SQL client products that do not talk JDBC, allowing end users to use the same client for Hive that they use for other RDBMs.

---
Mark E. Sunderlin
Solutions Architect |AOLCore Data Technologies

Posted by Viral Bajaria <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.

Posted by "Tucker, Matt" <Ma...@disney.com>.