Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by zlatko99 <zl...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/31 11:06:24 UTC

Stateless and Ajax

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me (from an architecture's point of view) why every
Ajax component added to a page makes that page statefull? If I set the
stateless hint to true and turn off the page versioning, why is a session
needed? The reason why I am asking this is because I want to have a totally
stateless application, where the data that should be shared between requests
will be managed by myself in a cookie.

p.s. I tried to use jolira wicket-stateless tools, but there is no way of
submitting a stateless form using ajax button...

Thank you in advance,
Zlatko

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
 i have started writing some of that ,the way i am doing is ,the user
wont have to contribute or retrieve pageparameters on his own.he will
do in the normal wicket fashion ,the user will just have to extend the
statelessmodel that i wrote and these things will be done on its own.
i am using 1.5.x

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM, robert.mcguinness
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> straight copy from jolira but for 6.0.  basically just keep overriding the
>> ajax components and returning getStatelessHint to true and passing page
>> parameters to ajax components as needed.
>>
>> Code is buggy so just use as reference.
>>
>> https://github.com/robmcguinness/wicket-stateless/blob/master/src/main/java/com/robmcguinness/stateless/StatelessAjaxButton.java
>>
>> http://wicket-stateless.herokuapp.com/
>>
>> *martin,*
>
> Don't ask Martin, ask at dev@ ;-)
>

>> would the core devs consider pulling some of jolira's ajax components or
>> some variant of it into the wicket-core?  seems that over the years a the
>> demand for stateless ajax components is pretty reasonable.
>>
>> rob
>>
>> --

> Martin Grigorov
> jWeekend
> Training, Consulting, Development
> http://jWeekend.com

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM, toytown <pr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi igor,
>
>     i certainly do agree that being stateful Wicket can do complex stuff.
> However, you have to consider the fact that sometimes it is necessary to
> become stateless (especially in public facing website) where I need the
> users to be able to bookmark the page .
>    i do not see whats wrong in integrating some stateless behaviours, links
> like those in Jorilla Project into the wicket core so that users can get the
> best of both world from wicket framework.

I think the problem to integrate such behaviors is that someone will
face problems like the one I described earlier in this thread and file
a ticket which we wont be able to solve.

When I upgraded Jolira's stateless project to 1.5 I asked the original
author whether it is OK to put it in WicketStuff project so it will be
released for each version of Wicket but he preferred to keep it in his
Github repo. I think it works fine with 1.5.4 but since it is not part
of our release cycle it may get broken at some point ... :-/

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
thats right :) ,even the small toggle visibility will have problem ;)
,i have a way of handling that i think but i have not completely
programmed it .i am saving all the state in url works well for the
small things like visiblty etc.
say for replace that  thing can be saved on url
oldcomponentmarkupid_replace=newcomponentmarkupId as page is created
on every request , that thing can be checked and replaced at that time
of creation,not very sure if its correct.,i will try to handle all
that thing internally so the the user's code doesnt look dirty .

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM, zlatko99 <zl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you all involved in this thread. With your help, I managed to build a
>> login/registration form, totally stateless and submitted with ajax. (Thanks,
>> Robert, for the referenced component, it works really good).
>>
>> This was a proof of concept for me that such a page could be built in
>> Wicket. I want to continue further with my project in a completely stateless
>> manner. However, I see my project using many more complicated ajax
>> components (ajax-autocomplete, etc.), also incorporating jqwicket library
>> for integration with Jquery UI.
>>
>> Is it possible to continue with this arsenal of stateless ajax components
>> (extended jolira) in order to achieve my plan? If I go this route (like the
>> login/registration form), can I be optimistic that I can overcome all or
>> most of other stateless ajax quirks waiting for me in the future?
>>

> I'm thinking of a problem which I'm not sure can be handled by stateless ajax.
> A page has a panel and an ajax link that replaces this panel with a
> another panel. So far so good.
> The new panel also has an ajax link. Clicking on this link will lead
> to ComponentNotFoundException I think, because it wont be in the
> initial state of the re-created page.
>
> Stateless Ajax users can you try this scenario ?
>
>> I work with Wicket 6.0-SNAPSHOT and Roberts' components nicely fit in my
>> environment.
>
> Cool! More users testing the new Ajax impl in Wicket 6.0 !
>

>> Thank you,
>> Zlatko
>>
>> --

> Martin Grigorov
> jWeekend
> Training, Consulting, Development
> http://jWeekend.com

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
its possible, but certainly nowhere as easy as Wicket makes it.

-igor

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
 ha yeah i just now realized its nearly impossible to do complex
things in stateless frameworks.
thanks :)

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no, you are thinking in the right direction. this is why wicket's
> stateful model is better then stateless frameworks for complex UIs....
>
> -igor
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM, vineet semwal
> <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i am just now trying to program the same thing,this kind of is very
>> tough to implement if not impossible..
>>  i am adding the following things in url
>> 1)replaced component markupid
>> 2)replaced with component class name so as to instantiate the
>> component that replaced old one
>>  but its constructor/constructors will still have arguments which
>> again will be needed to store in url and they can be complex too so
>> kind of very tough to do if not impossible or i am thinking in wrong
>> direction?
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> if you are using stateless ajax links like that then the fact that the
>>> panel has been replaced should be added as a query parameter so the
>>> page is reinitialized with the right panel, thats how stateless
>>> frameworks work :)
>>>
>>> -igor

>> --
>> thank you,
>>
>> regards,
>> Vineet Semwal

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
i am just now trying to program the same thing,this kind of is very
tough to implement if not impossible..
 i am adding the following things in url
1)replaced component markupid
2)replaced with component class name so as to instantiate the
component that replaced old one
 but its constructor/constructors will still have arguments which
again will be needed to store in url and they can be complex too so
kind of very tough to do if not impossible or i am thinking in wrong
direction?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you are using stateless ajax links like that then the fact that the
> panel has been replaced should be added as a query parameter so the
> page is reinitialized with the right panel, thats how stateless
> frameworks work :)
>
> -igor
>
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM, zlatko99 <zl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you all involved in this thread. With your help, I managed to build a
>>> login/registration form, totally stateless and submitted with ajax. (Thanks,
>>> Robert, for the referenced component, it works really good).
>>>
>>> This was a proof of concept for me that such a page could be built in
>>> Wicket. I want to continue further with my project in a completely stateless
>>> manner. However, I see my project using many more complicated ajax
>>> components (ajax-autocomplete, etc.), also incorporating jqwicket library
>>> for integration with Jquery UI.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to continue with this arsenal of stateless ajax components
>>> (extended jolira) in order to achieve my plan? If I go this route (like the
>>> login/registration form), can I be optimistic that I can overcome all or
>>> most of other stateless ajax quirks waiting for me in the future?
>>>

>> I'm thinking of a problem which I'm not sure can be handled by stateless ajax.
>> A page has a panel and an ajax link that replaces this panel with a
>> another panel. So far so good.
>> The new panel also has an ajax link. Clicking on this link will lead
>> to ComponentNotFoundException I think, because it wont be in the
>> initial state of the re-created page.
>>
>> Stateless Ajax users can you try this scenario ?
>>
>>> I work with Wicket 6.0-SNAPSHOT and Roberts' components nicely fit in my
>>> environment.
>>
>> Cool! More users testing the new Ajax impl in Wicket 6.0 !
>>

>>> Thank you,
>>> Zlatko
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Martin Grigorov
>> jWeekend
>> Training, Consulting, Development
>> http://jWeekend.com

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Zlatko,

Wicket's AjaxSubmitLink uses AjaxFormSubmitBehavior under the hood
which uses submitFormById() JavaScript function.
See any of the Jolira's behaviors and compare it to its stateful
counter part in Wicket and see what you need to do to make
AjaxSubmitLink stateless.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com>.
;] hurray

pozdrawiam
Paweł Kamiński

kamiseq@gmail.com
pkaminski.prv@gmail.com

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM, zlatko99 <zl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, now it's much more clear, thank you!

Welcome!

> But then, I'm curious to know why doesn't exist a component in Jolira's
> package that can submit stateless form by ajax button? Is it not possible
> for such component to exist or the reason is lacking effort on their side?
> If it is possible, can you give me some hint in order to be able to come up
> with such a solution?

Until 1.5.4 Wicket was reading only the GET request parameters to fill
its PageParameters.
This is improved in 1.5.4 and now it should be possible to use
wicket-ajax.js submitFormById() (which uses POST).

Try and tell me what problems you face. Then we will figure out how to
solve them.

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM, kamiseq <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont know if the conversation you pointed to can explain anything
> for this question;]

OK, then it is not clear.

Ajax behavior needs to be stateful to be able to find the page that it
has to update.
By being stateful the behavior makes the whole page stateful and thus
this page is stored in the page store at the end of the request cycle.
To be able to store it Wicket needs the session id. Later when an Ajax
call fires the same session id is used to find this page instance in
the store, then find the component with the Ajax behavior in that page
and execute the callback method (onEvent, onClick, etc.)

Jolira's Ajax behaviors by being stateless do not store the page and
thus they recreate a new page instance for each Ajax call. But instead
of rendering the whole page only the components added to the
AjaxRequestTarget are rendered and delivered back.

Is it more clear now ?

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Re: Stateless and Ajax

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Zlatko,

Read this explanation: http://markmail.org/message/fkbbfmd6l7ogxj2t
I will update this wiki page soon with all I know about the topic:
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/stateless-pages.html