Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/24 14:59:19 UTC

[VOTE] Create repo for new deliverable: CLI

Brooklyners,

Given the feedback on the [HEADS-UP] thread to David and Geoff's
proposal, I move to starting a vote for the creation of a separate git
repo: brooklyn-cli. Tthe vote is both for the creation of the repo, and
its name. The name with the largest number of vote wins, unless strong
objections will send us back to the drawing board. This vote is *not*
for the name of the executable (br or bk).

[+1] brooklyn-cli (create repo with this name: a heneveld proposal)
[+1] brooklyn-commons-cli (create repo with this name: mzaccardo proposal)
[-1] we do not need a separate repo

Please cast your vote. The vote is open for 72+ hours.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Re: [VOTE] Create repo for new deliverable: CLI

Posted by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net>.
+1 brooklyn-client

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
sorry, Hadrian, just read your message on [DISCUSS] I'll not confuse things
with a "+0"

+1 brooklyn-cli

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 new repo

Posted by Guglielmo Nigri <gu...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Mike Zaccardo <mi...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+ 1 on separate repo
+1 for brooklyn-client

————————————————————

Posted by David Lloyd <da...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Create repo for new deliverable: CLI <- client project name and language binding discussion

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
@Robert-

Thx for explanation.  For me it's about emphasis.  The message of this
proposal for code-browsers is:

* brooklyn-client is *the* main client you should use; look at it and
you'll see it's a cli, and it happens to be written in go, but that's
not relevant at a high level
* there is also a ui, obviously at brooklyn-ui
* there is a rest client binding for java but currently it's buried;
these might be promoted at some point but they'd never be the main
client project; I expect they'd be called something like
brooklyn-client-rest-bindings

I think we sometimes overcomplicate things for people when we try to
precisely describe everything rather than taking a stand. #toomanyphds

@Hadrian-  I had no intention to close the VOTE; I was simply
redirecting discussion off the VOTE thread.  +1 to reaching consensus in
which case I think the process should be Robert replying to the VOTE
thread indicating so.

Best
Alex

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
That's perfectly fine. So where do you stand on the amended proposal,
keeping in mind that we could create new repos or add content to the
repo at will in the future.

For clarity:
[+1] brooklyn-cli (create repo with this name: a heneveld proposal)
[+1] brooklyn-commons-cli (use this name: mzaccardo proposal)
[+1] brooklyn-client (use this name: aheneveld proposal)
[-1] we do not need a separate repo

The way I plan to close this vote is:
* at least 1 negative (-1) vote cancels the proposal
* simple majority on the name wins (only last vote is counted for those
who voted multiple times, e.g. aheneveld's name change proposal.
(and I just realized I don't know what to do with non PMC votes, I need
to think about this one).

The vote is extended until Sun, 11/29/15, 4pm GMT. Plenty of time to
think and decide.

Hadrian

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
[...]

would be a simple matter to auto-generate binding stubs for most

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Changing vote:

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 brooklyn-cli

Posted by David Lloyd <da...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 brooklyn-cli

Posted by Mark McKenna <ma...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1: brooklyn-cli

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
+1: brooklyn-cli

[RESULT][VOTE] Create repo for new deliverable: CLI

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Vote passes with the following result:

[3] +1 brooklyn-cli (rmoss, mmkenna, aturli)
[0] +1 brooklyn-commons-cli ()
[7] +1 brooklyn-client (aheneveld, asage, hadrian, dlloyd, gmacartney,
mzaccardo, cipi)
[0] -1 we do not need a separate repo

In fairness, I counted contributors votes as well, not just PMC, but any
way you count, the result is the same.

I will open an issue with infra@ requesting a separate 'brookly-client'
repo.

Thanks to all who expressed their thoughts and voted.

Hadrian

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 brooklyn-cli

--a

Posted by Robert Moss <ro...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 brooklyn-cli

On 24 November 2015 at 14:01, Geoff Macartney <

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
+1 brooklyn-cli