Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/04/12 18:50:36 UTC

Re: Thinking ahead

+1

The proposed content for 2.5 in the roadmap wiki looks good to me.
On Apr 12, 2014 7:26 AM, "Arun C Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Gang,
>
>  With hadoop-2.4 out, it's time to think ahead.
>
>  In the short-term hadoop-2.4.1 is in order; particularly with
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5830 (it's a break to
> @Private API, unfortunately something Hive is using - sigh!). There are
> some other fixes which testing has uncovered; so it will be nice to pull
> them them in. I'm thinking of an RC by end of the coming week - committers,
> please be *very* conservative when getting stuff into 2.4.1 (i.e. merging
> to branch-2.4).
>
>  Next up, hadoop-2.5.
>
>  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap with some candidates
> for consideration - please chime in and say 'aye'/'nay' or add new content.
> IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
>
>  Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing
> it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that
> makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get
> it stable and released by early June.
>
>  Thoughts?
>
> thanks,
> Arun
>

> --
> Arun C. Murthy
> Hortonworks Inc.
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
I'm still wading through 2.4.1 critical issues (failing tests, blockers
etc) so haven't gotten time to think about the 2.5 list w.r.t YARN. Will do
so in the next week.

BTW, folks, please refrain from adding items to the list that you
yourselves are not volunteering to work on. Anyone keen to see a particular
feature should volunteer to that effect. We don't 'assign' work.

+Vinod

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for Timeline Server stability. In addition to the security, we may also
want to deal with scalability, generic and per-framework services
integration and MR integration.

Any plan about YARN long running services?

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for Timeline Server stability. In addition to the security, we may also
want to deal with scalability, generic and per-framework services
integration and MR integration.

Any plan about YARN long running services?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> +1 for starting to think about 2.5.  Early June seems a little early to me
> - we had talked about a quarterly release cadence and this would be about
> half that.
>
> I'm having trouble editing the wiki, but I think Timeline Server stability
> (e.g. security and locking down APIs) should go on that list.  I think we
> should probably take YARN-1404 off the list - even with 3 months it's
> unlikely to be complete.
>

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com
> >wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > The proposed content for 2.5 in the roadmap wiki looks good to me.
> > On Apr 12, 2014 7:26 AM, "Arun C Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Gang,
> > >
> > >  With hadoop-2.4 out, it's time to think ahead.
> > >
> > >  In the short-term hadoop-2.4.1 is in order; particularly with
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5830 (it's a break to
> > > @Private API, unfortunately something Hive is using - sigh!). There are
> > > some other fixes which testing has uncovered; so it will be nice to
> pull
> > > them them in. I'm thinking of an RC by end of the coming week -
> > committers,
> > > please be *very* conservative when getting stuff into 2.4.1 (i.e.
> merging
> > > to branch-2.4).
> > >
> > >  Next up, hadoop-2.5.
> > >
> > >  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap with some
> > candidates
> > > for consideration - please chime in and say 'aye'/'nay' or add new
> > content.
> > > IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
> > >
> > >  Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on
> releasing
> > > it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If
> that
> > > makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to
> get
> > > it stable and released by early June.
> > >
> > >  Thoughts?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Arun
> > >

> > > --
> > > Arun C. Murthy
> > > Hortonworks Inc.
> > > http://hortonworks.com/
> > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for Timeline Server stability. In addition to the security, we may also
want to deal with scalability, generic and per-framework services
integration and MR integration.

Any plan about YARN long running services?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> +1 for starting to think about 2.5.  Early June seems a little early to me
> - we had talked about a quarterly release cadence and this would be about
> half that.
>
> I'm having trouble editing the wiki, but I think Timeline Server stability
> (e.g. security and locking down APIs) should go on that list.  I think we
> should probably take YARN-1404 off the list - even with 3 months it's
> unlikely to be complete.
>

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com
> >wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > The proposed content for 2.5 in the roadmap wiki looks good to me.
> > On Apr 12, 2014 7:26 AM, "Arun C Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Gang,
> > >
> > >  With hadoop-2.4 out, it's time to think ahead.
> > >
> > >  In the short-term hadoop-2.4.1 is in order; particularly with
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5830 (it's a break to
> > > @Private API, unfortunately something Hive is using - sigh!). There are
> > > some other fixes which testing has uncovered; so it will be nice to
> pull
> > > them them in. I'm thinking of an RC by end of the coming week -
> > committers,
> > > please be *very* conservative when getting stuff into 2.4.1 (i.e.
> merging
> > > to branch-2.4).
> > >
> > >  Next up, hadoop-2.5.
> > >
> > >  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap with some
> > candidates
> > > for consideration - please chime in and say 'aye'/'nay' or add new
> > content.
> > > IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
> > >
> > >  Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on
> releasing
> > > it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If
> that
> > > makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to
> get
> > > it stable and released by early June.
> > >
> > >  Thoughts?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Arun
> > >

> > > --
> > > Arun C. Murthy
> > > Hortonworks Inc.
> > > http://hortonworks.com/
> > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1 (non-binding) for 2.4.1 release.

 > We can debate whether or June is too early for hadoop-2.5 and it's
 > contents, but I recollect there was consensus that releases every 6
 > weeks (or so) makes sense.

Also, +1 (non-binding) for the 6 weeks (or so) timeline releases.
However, I'm thinking it's more important to remove the critical bugs
(e.g. test failures) from rc than to release on time.

Thanks,
Akira

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Akira AJISAKA <aj...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by "Arun C. Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> content.
>>> IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
>>>
>>> Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing
>>> it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that
>>> makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get
>>> it stable and released by early June.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Reference:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201401.mbox/%3CCAJS6+b4TKuPVqfaoRf_314XvEiVrYQy-VtRYD8+36Tu_Bc51fw@mail.gmail.com%3E

This is of course open source, and I have neither the ability nor the
desire to compel or pressure anybody to work on anything, but I wanted to
point out that the proposal to merge AHS into trunk stated an intent to tie
ends up on security.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Reference:

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Reference:

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 for 2.4.1 release(non-binding).
There are some critical issues including YARN-1861 and YARN-1929 about
RM-HA. IMO, we should include the fixes.

One question is whether we can include RM-HA phase 2(YARN-556) in 2.5
by mid-May. It's still work-in-progress.

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sandy,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sandy,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for Timeline Server stability. In addition to the security, we may also
want to deal with scalability, generic and per-framework services
integration and MR integration.

Any plan about YARN long running services?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>wrote:

> +1 for starting to think about 2.5.  Early June seems a little early to me
> - we had talked about a quarterly release cadence and this would be about
> half that.
>
> I'm having trouble editing the wiki, but I think Timeline Server stability
> (e.g. security and locking down APIs) should go on that list.  I think we
> should probably take YARN-1404 off the list - even with 3 months it's
> unlikely to be complete.
>

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com
> >wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > The proposed content for 2.5 in the roadmap wiki looks good to me.
> > On Apr 12, 2014 7:26 AM, "Arun C Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Gang,
> > >
> > >  With hadoop-2.4 out, it's time to think ahead.
> > >
> > >  In the short-term hadoop-2.4.1 is in order; particularly with
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-5830 (it's a break to
> > > @Private API, unfortunately something Hive is using - sigh!). There are
> > > some other fixes which testing has uncovered; so it will be nice to
> pull
> > > them them in. I'm thinking of an RC by end of the coming week -
> > committers,
> > > please be *very* conservative when getting stuff into 2.4.1 (i.e.
> merging
> > > to branch-2.4).
> > >
> > >  Next up, hadoop-2.5.
> > >
> > >  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap with some
> > candidates
> > > for consideration - please chime in and say 'aye'/'nay' or add new
> > content.
> > > IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
> > >
> > >  Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on
> releasing
> > > it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If
> that
> > > makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to
> get
> > > it stable and released by early June.
> > >
> > >  Thoughts?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Arun
> > >

> > > --
> > > Arun C. Murthy
> > > Hortonworks Inc.
> > > http://hortonworks.com/
> > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sandy,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Sandy,

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by "Arun C. Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> content.
>>> IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
>>>
>>> Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing
>>> it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that
>>> makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get
>>> it stable and released by early June.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by "Arun C. Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> content.
>>> IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
>>>
>>> Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing
>>> it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that
>>> makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get
>>> it stable and released by early June.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by "Arun C. Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

>> content.
>>> IAC, I suspect that list is too large.
>>>
>>> Rather than wait for everything it would be better to plan on releasing
>>> it on a time-bound manner; particularly around the Hadoop Summit. If that
>>> makes sense; I think we should target branching for 2.5 by mid-May to get
>>> it stable and released by early June.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>>

>>> --
>>> Arun C. Murthy
>>> Hortonworks Inc.
>>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>>

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Thinking ahead

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Thinking ahead