Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com> on 2014/06/26 07:02:51 UTC

Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Hi all,

Can we create $subject as we are kind of doing major changes on Cartridge
Grouping feature? Please refer "[Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)"
in the mail for more information on this feature.

We can actively work on this feature in a separate branch until we bring it
up to a stabilize state and then we can merge the changes back to master?
WDYT?

Please share you thoughts on this...

Thanks,
Reka

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

RE: Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Posted by Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte <ma...@wso2.com>.
+1. Yes you can do the git merge after bring it up to a stabilize state.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can we create $subject as we are kind of doing major changes on Cartridge
>> Grouping feature? Please refer "[Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridge
>> s)" in the mail for more information on this feature.
>>
>> We can actively work on this feature in a separate branch until we bring
>> it up to a stabilize state and then we can merge the changes back to
>> master? WDYT?
>>

> +1
>

>> Please share you thoughts on this...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reka
>>
>> --
>> Reka Thirunavukkarasu
>> Senior Software Engineer,
>> WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
>> Mobile: +94776442007
>>

> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. : http://wso2.com
lean . enterprise . middleware

email : manulac@wso2.com / manula@apache.org
phone : +94 772492511
blog : http://manulachathurika.blogspot.com/

Re: Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can we create $subject as we are kind of doing major changes on Cartridge
> Grouping feature? Please refer "[Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridge
> s)" in the mail for more information on this feature.
>
> We can actively work on this feature in a separate branch until we bring
> it up to a stabilize state and then we can merge the changes back to
> master? WDYT?

+1

--
Blog : http://lakmalsview.blogspot.com/

Re: Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi,

+1
It is possible to get merge conflicts. But better to use a separate branch
since it does not block development in master branch.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte <
manulac@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Reka,
>
> If it's get conflict only the same class same location get edited by two
> or more users. Since we have git merge tool I think we can easily fix the
> conflict issues if they occurs.
>
> Thanks !
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIR it was decided earlier to use the master branch for this feature,
>>> in the thread [1]. Creating a separate branch is fine, however will have to
>>> put a considerable effort when merging back to the master branch, since
>>> this change spans through many places in the code base. However, as this is
>>> a standard development practice, +1 for it.
>>>

>> Thanks Isuru for pointing it out. Since it is major development and it
>> has to go through several experimental cycles to make it stabilize. If we
>> block the master because of this feature, then no others can try anything
>> with master. That's why thought of putting it into a separate branch.
>> Anyway i agree that required considerable effort to merge it back to master.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Reka
>>

>>> [1]. [Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)

Udara Liyanage
Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
lean. enterprise. middleware

web: http://udaraliyanage.wordpress.com
phone: +94 71 443 6897

Re: Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Posted by Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte <ma...@wso2.com>.
Hi Reka,

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Hi

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.
Great..Thanks Martin..!

[...]

________________________________
What do you mean by cartridge grouping feature?

Could you please refer to "[Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)" mail? It was sent to dev@stratos.incubator.apache.org<ma...@stratos.incubator.apache.org>. In simple terms, cartridge grouping is to connect cartridges and apply scaling or any decision to a set of cartridges (cartridge group). It will eventually provide the CAMP support in Aapche stratos.
Thanks,
Reka

________________________________
Can we create $subject as we are kind of doing major changes on Cartridge Grouping feature? Please refer "[Discuss] Grouping of services (cartridges)" in the mail for more information on this feature.
We can actively work on this feature in a separate branch until we bring it up to a stabilize state and then we can merge the changes back to master? WDYT?
Please share you thoughts on this...

Thanks,
Reka

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com<http://wso2.com/>,
Mobile: +94776442007

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com<http://wso2.com/>,
Mobile: +94776442007

--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
Mobile: +94776442007<tel:%2B94776442007>

RE: Separate Branch to work on Cartridge Grouping feature

Posted by "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <me...@cisco.com>.
Hi Reka,

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Maria Beckham <ma...@yahoo.com>.