Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2010/11/16 15:48:53 UTC

[ApacheDS] Rename project 'server-config' to 'apacheds-server-config' + Move 'ConfigBuilder' class into a separate project

Hi Dev,

I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.

I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a name starting with 'apacheds-something'.

I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will be responsible for reading the server config and generating config beans out of it.
The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would depend on the first part of course).

This is particularly important for Studio.
With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is great and easy to use in Studio):
- apacheds-core-api
- apacheds-i18n
- apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
- apacheds-xdbm-partition
- shared-ldap
- junit-addons ('test' scope)

The current 'server-config' project has 21 dependencies defined and is a real mess to integrate in Studio, especially when all you need is only accessing the config beans.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [ApacheDS] Rename project 'server-config' to 'apacheds-server-config' + Move 'ConfigBuilder' class into a separate project

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi Dev,
>
> I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.
>
> I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a name starting with 'apacheds-something'.

+1
> I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
> The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will be responsible for reading the server config and generating config beans out of it.
> The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would depend on the first part of course).
>
> This is particularly important for Studio.
> With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is great and easy to use in Studio):
> - apacheds-core-api
> - apacheds-i18n
> - apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
> - apacheds-xdbm-partition
> - shared-ldap
> - junit-addons ('test' scope)
>
> The current 'server-config' project has 21 dependencies defined and is a real mess to integrate in Studio, especially when all you need is only accessing the config beans.
>
> Thoughts ?
right +1, we don't need other dependencies which are needed to
instantiate the real server instances.

--
Kiran Ayyagari

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

On 16 nov. 2010, at 16:12, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:
>> Hi Dev,
>>
>> I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.
>>
>> I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a name starting with 'apacheds-something'.
>
> +1
>
>> I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
>> The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will be responsible for reading the server config and generating config beans out of it.
>> The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would depend on the first part of course).
>>
>> This is particularly important for Studio.
>> With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is great and easy to use in Studio):
>> - apacheds-core-api
>> - apacheds-i18n
>> - apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
>> - apacheds-xdbm-partition
>> - shared-ldap
>> - junit-addons ('test' scope)
>
> I guess the remaining dependencies are required to be able to read and
> write the config partition directlly from the local file system?

Indeed.
Emmanuel will need to confirm this but I think we're only able to read the config at the moment.
I don't think a writer has been created yet.

The LDIF writer should be pretty easy to write with what we already have.

> What is the plan to read the config partiton over the wire?

Maybe we could use the LDAP API to load the whole subtree under 'ou=config' and create an in-memory partition that we could pass to the existing configuration reader.

The 'over the wire' writer will be much more complicated than the LDIF one, as it will have to deal with an existing set of entry.
As I already explained to Emmanuel (on face-to-face conversations), we will probably need a structure to compare LDAP Trees, the original one and the new one.
From these two trees we can then compute the needed modifications, which can be applied via the LDAP API.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi Dev,
> >
> > I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.
> >
> > I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as
> 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the
> only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a
> name starting with 'apacheds-something'.
>
> +1
>
> > I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
> > The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources,
> will be responsible for reading the server config and generating config
> beans out of it.
> > The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which
> instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would
> depend on the first part of course).
> >
> > This is particularly important for Studio.
> > With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is
> great and easy to use in Studio):
> > - apacheds-core-api
> > - apacheds-i18n
> > - apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
> > - apacheds-xdbm-partition
> > - shared-ldap
> > - junit-addons ('test' scope)
>
> I guess the remaining dependencies are required to be able to read and
> write the config partition directlly from the local file system?
>
> What is the plan to read the config partiton over the wire?

Good idea Stefan, this would probably have less dependencies to you'd
probably then break apart the on-the-wire verses from-disk into separate
implementation modules otherwise the deps follow.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Excellent.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Done!

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Done!

I renamed the 'server-config' project to 'apacheds-server-config'.

The 'ConfigBuilder' class has been extracted into a separate new 'apacheds-server-config-builder' project to reduce the number of dependencies on the 'apacheds-server-config' project.

I agree with Alex, the 'ConfigBuilder' naming is a bit confusing... Same thing for the 'apacheds-server-config-builder' project.
Got any better names ?

Emmanuel proposed 'InstancesBuilder' for the class ('apacheds-server-instances-builder' for the project).

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi Dev,
>
> I'd like to propose two modifications for ApacheDS projects.
>
> I think the project 'server-config' should be renamed as
> 'apacheds-server-config' (to be consistent with others projects). It's the
> only project starting with a 'server' string and all other projects have a
> name starting with 'apacheds-something'.
>
> I'd also like to split the 'server-config' project in two parts.
> The first part, which would contain most of the classes and resources, will
> be responsible for reading the server config and generating config beans out
> of it.
> The second part would only contain the ConfigBuilder class which
> instantiate 'real' server objects out of the config beans (this part would
> depend on the first part of course).

This name ConfigBuilder is a bit confusing. On first glance I thought it
builds the configuration beans. Perhaps we should call it InstanceBuilder or
FooBuilder where Foo is the top-level object that it builds.

> This is particularly important for Studio.
> With this separation the first part has very few dependencies (which is
> great and easy to use in Studio):
> - apacheds-core-api
> - apacheds-i18n
> - apacheds-ldif-partition ('test' scope)
> - apacheds-xdbm-partition
> - shared-ldap
> - junit-addons ('test' scope)
>
> The current 'server-config' project has 21 dependencies defined and is a
> real mess to integrate in Studio, especially when all you need is only
> accessing the config beans.
>
> Thoughts ?

+1 - makes total sense.

Thanks Pierre!