Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/25 14:27:56 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess functionalities

Hi,

I see all the Directives and functionality of .htaccess file can be used
from httpd.conf file itself, could somebody please advice what can be done
from .htaccess which is not possible through Apache configuration file ?

Many thanks.

Arun J

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess functionalities

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 10:47 -0500 4/25/10, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html
>
>If you point out what is confusing you, someone is more likely to fix the docs
>to make them clearer.

The link starts with this:
.htaccess files provide a way to make configuration changes on a per-directory basis.

The immediate question is "why would anyone want to do that?"

I believe the answer is that hosting facilities which serve multiple users from a single machine running a single copy of apache can choose to have each user responsible for his own "root" HTML directory that gets identified by the IP address to which the HTTP request is aimed.

In principle I could change how apache works, for me only, on my shared server by creating a .htaccess file in my home directory or perhaps in the document root for my hosted web site. Someday I'll try but I would assume that my hosting service has set some limits on just what I can do, perhaps nothing.

The tutorial might better be directed to users such as me rather that assuming that I would understand the phrases "per-directory" and "per document directory" which tend to result in looking for another page rather than reading down where "no root access" gets mentioned.

But then I might still be confused so don't take this too seriously.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess functionalities

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/25/2010 7:37 AM, Arunkumar Janarthanan wrote:
> Thanks Nilesh, so according to you httpd.config file is more advanced
> than .htaccess ?

There are two entire pages of the docs on this topic.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/configuring.html

[users@httpd] httpd apache process gets stuck

Posted by Malka Cymbalista <Ma...@weizmann.ac.il>.
We have been running Apache 2.2.6 with mod_perl for well over a year with MaxClients set to 200.  Today, the web server was not reacting to requests.  We killed the httpd process and started it again.  Things would be fine for about 10 minutes and then httpd would get stuck again.  We couldn't find anything wrong.  The server was accessible but periodically httpd would get stuck.  We saw that it would get stuck when the amount of httpd processes reached 200.
After we restarted the httpd process, the amount of httpd processes running would climb.  We sometimes saw it jump from 100 to 150 very quickly (the amount of time it takes to call up the previous command and hit enter).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can cause this or what we can check to find the problem.  We set LogLevel to debug but nothing jumped out at us and we're not sure what we are looking for.
Thanks for any help.

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
malki.cymbalista@weizmann.ac.il
08-934-3036

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess functionalities

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks which docs says httpd.conf is super set of .htaccess file ?

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.
On 04/25/10 18:07, Arunkumar Janarthanan wrote:
> Thanks Nilesh, so according to you httpd.config file is more advanced
> than .htaccess ?
>
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com
> <ma...@itech7.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/25/10 17:57, Arunkumar Janarthanan wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I see all the Directives and functionality of .htaccess file can
>         be used
>         from httpd.conf file itself, could somebody please advice what
>         can be
>         done from .htaccess which is not possible through Apache
>         configuration
>         file ?
>
>         Many thanks.
>
>         Arun J
>

>     Everything that can be put in .htaccess can be very well put in the
>     config files using <Location>, <LocationMatch>, <Directory> or
>     <DirectoryMatch>
>
>     But not everything in config files is possible to put in .htaccess.
>
>     --
>     Nilesh Govindarajan
>     Site & Server Administrator
>     www.itech7.com <http://www.itech7.com>