Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alain Guerry <al...@onirophyse.net> on 2004/11/22 22:43:13 UTC

[users@httpd] internationalisation of indexes (mod_autoindex and Parent Directory)

Hello!
I'm a french-speaking user of Apache. I am trying to modify the automatic
directory listing of Apache, most known as mod_autoindex, and particularly
to translate the ".." link ("Parent Directory" in english, would be "Dossier
parent" in french). But... I can't find how to do that!

  It seems that it's impossible. I'm able to do it, modifying ApacheCore.dll
on my own Win32 system with an hex' editor, but I don't think it's possible
to do on the Linux system of my dear host ;)

  So, does anybody know how to change this link? And, BTW, the top-of-rows
links like Name, Size, Last modified, Description? That would be really good
to make the possibility to change that, because the HeaderName and
ReadmeName make us (the poor non-english-speakers) able to translate the
whole auto-listing for our brothers, except "Parent Directory" and the other
links. Can it be considered as a bug for the bug report guys ?

  Thank you,

--
Alain @ Onirophyse.net

« Depuis six mille ans la guerre
Plaît aux peuples querelleurs,
Et Dieu perd son temps à faire
Les étoiles et les fleurs. »
                         [Victor Hugo]

Re: [users@httpd] internationalisation of indexes (mod_autoindex and Parent Directory)

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:17:35 +0100, Ralf Glauberman
<rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de> wrote:
> hm, one quesition that came to my mind: is there a way to use php as the
> header or readme-file form mod_autoindex?

Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem.  Certain english text is still present.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: internationalisation of indexes (mod_autoindex, php header files, and Parent Directory)

Posted by Alain Guerry <al...@onirophyse.net>.
> hm, one quesition that came to my mind: is there a way to use php as the
> header or readme-file form mod_autoindex?
(Ralf G.)

Yes, there's a way :

/.htaccess
HeaderName HEADER.shtml

/HEADER.shtml
<!--#exec cgi="my_cgi_script.pl|cgi|php"-->
OR
<!--#include virtual="cgi_script"-->

but this last one doesn't work as i want on my website... don't know why.
The first one seems to be like "deprecated" :
""The include virtual element should be used in preference to exec cgi."" in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html

This described way is particularly useful for perl scripts, but there's
perhaps another (easier) way for php scripts, which are often server-parsed
like ssi, and then the .shtml seems to be useless... i didn't find any good
english word for "redondant" in french ;-)

My problem is that the directory listing is generated between the Header
file and the Readme file (which are yet perl scripts), so i can't modify
this directory listing. I could generate by myself a dir list but... that's
not fun ;)

>You've got the source code.
>Take a look at mod_autoindex.c.  It shouldn't be too complicated.
>(And yes, it would be better if this was internationalized.  But I
>don't know anyone working on that.)
(Joshua)

My problem is that i don't have any access to my host's source code... Do
you find that it's a good "bug" (even if it's not really a bug) to submit to
bugzilla? It should'nt be so complicated to allow modifying it in .htaccess
files for example.

Thank you all for your responses,
Alain

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.