Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de> on 2002/11/11 15:40:18 UTC

cvs version: FileNotFoundException: MANIFEST.MF

I'm trying to install cocoon again on a fresh RedHat 7.3 system, after
having various problems installing in the past. I thought I'd try the
cvs version this time. Here are my notes:
http://www.murrayc.com/temp/cocoon_install_notes.txt

When I check the cocoon page at
http://murrayc.blueprint.net:8080/cocoon/
I get "The requested resource (/cocoon/) is not available.", and this
message in the /var/tomcat4/logs/localhost_log.2002-11-11.txt

2002-11-11 13:52:16 HostConfig[localhost]: Expanding web application
archive cocoon.war
2002-11-11 13:52:16 HostConfig[localhost] Exception while expanding web
application archive cocoon.war
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/tomcat4/webapps/cocoon/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (No such file or
directory)

Any ideas?

--
Murray Cumming
murray@usa.net

Re: cvs version: FileNotFoundException: MANIFEST.MF

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.
Murray,

--- Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:38, Geoff Howard wrote:
> > This sounds like it's just a configuration problem
> > causing unpacking cocoon.war to fail.  Also,
> unless
> > you left some steps out of your install notes,
> you're
> > going to have problems once things get up and
> running
> > due to the outdated parser that ships with jdk 1.4
> > (unless that no longer holds for 1.4.1) see the
> 1.4
> > specific instructions at
> > http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html
>
> I thought that the cvs version would work with the
> latest JDK, which I
> believe is 1.4.1. Should we really use an older JDK?

No, don't use an older JDK, just follow the
instructions for overriding the outdated versions of
the xml parser that now ships (for the first time)
with the 1.4.x family of jdk's.

> I gave write access to that user (actually I change
> a few access rights
> until I got this right, so it might take more than
> that.) and that seems
> to fix it.
>
> Now I get the
> "javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for
> servlet Cocoon2
> threw exception"
> error. I guess that's connected to the JDK 1.4.1
> problem mentioned
> above, which I should be able to deal with.

Yes, I think that's right.

Geoff

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Re: cvs version: FileNotFoundException: MANIFEST.MF

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.
On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:38, Geoff Howard wrote:
> This sounds like it's just a configuration problem
> causing unpacking cocoon.war to fail.  Also, unless
> you left some steps out of your install notes, you're
> going to have problems once things get up and running
> due to the outdated parser that ships with jdk 1.4
> (unless that no longer holds for 1.4.1) see the 1.4
> specific instructions at
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html

I thought that the cvs version would work with the latest JDK, which I
believe is 1.4.1. Should we really use an older JDK?

> First, confirm that cocoon.war really does have the
> file it's looking for.  jar tvf cocoon.war | grep
> MANIFEST.MF

Yes, it does.

> Check file permissions to make sure that the tomcat
> user has all permissions necessary to expand the war,

There is no tomcat user. The directory seems to be owned by tomcat4,
though there is no such user. Maybe that's normal.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.
This sounds like it's just a configuration problem
causing unpacking cocoon.war to fail.  Also, unless
you left some steps out of your install notes, you're
going to have problems once things get up and running
due to the outdated parser that ships with jdk 1.4
(unless that no longer holds for 1.4.1) see the 1.4
specific instructions at
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html

First, confirm that cocoon.war really does have the
file it's looking for.  jar tvf cocoon.war | grep
MANIFEST.MF

Check file permissions to make sure that the tomcat
user has all permissions necessary to expand the war,
and that the user you run build as is able to
successfully write to the tomcat webapp dir.

Try manually creating a cocoon dir under webapps and
expanding the war with jar xvf.

HTH,
Geoff Howard

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2