Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by joel grimes <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/01 03:12:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache very slow to respond to first request

I've just installed RH 7.3 - server install and added a couple of virtual
hosts to my httpd.conf file.  I'm experiencing a very long wait time (up to
20 or 30 seconds sometimes) when I first try to hit the sites.  Usually
subsequent requests are quicker (instantaneous, in fact), but if I switch
from one site to another, or if I change the url - from www.joelgrimes.net
to just plain joelgrimes.net, for example, I get the delay again.

Note that this seems to be an intermittent problem - but it happens more
than it doesn't.

Note 2.  I am also running TUX.  it doesn't seem to matter whether the page
is served by httpd or tux -  i can stop httpd and it'll still behave the
same way.

Note 3.  If I hit a link on my site to another document on the site, it
doesn't usually delay (see joelgrimes.net/test1.htm).

Any insight?  Below is my httpd.conf file (stripped of comments):

ServerType StandAlone
ServerRoot /etc/httpd/

#LoadModule mmap_static_module modules/mod_mmap_static.so
LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
LoadModule env_module         modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule config_log_module  modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule agent_log_module   modules/mod_log_agent.so
LoadModule referer_log_module modules/mod_log_referer.so
#LoadModule mime_magic_module  modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule mime_module        modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule status_module      modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule info_module        modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule includes_module    modules/mod_include.so
LoadModule autoindex_module   modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule cgi_module         modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule asis_module        modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule imap_module        modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule action_module      modules/mod_actions.so
#LoadModule speling_module     modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module     modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule alias_module       modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module     modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule access_module      modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module        modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule anon_auth_module   modules/mod_auth_anon.so
LoadModule db_auth_module     modules/mod_auth_db.so
#LoadModule digest_module      modules/mod_digest.so
#LoadModule proxy_module       modules/libproxy.so
#LoadModule cern_meta_module   modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module     modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module     modules/mod_headers.so
#LoadModule usertrack_module   modules/mod_usertrack.so
#LoadModule example_module     modules/mod_example.so
#LoadModule unique_id_module   modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    modules/mod_setenvif.so
#LoadModule bandwidth_module   modules/mod_bandwidth.so
#LoadModule put_module	       modules/mod_put.so
<IfDefine HAVE_PERL>
LoadModule perl_module        modules/libperl.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP>
LoadModule php_module         modules/mod_php.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP3>
LoadModule php3_module        modules/libphp3.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP4>
LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_DAV>
LoadModule dav_module         modules/libdav.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_ROAMING>
LoadModule roaming_module     modules/mod_roaming.so
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_SSL>
LoadModule ssl_module         modules/libssl.so
</IfDefine>

ClearModuleList
#AddModule mod_mmap_static.c
AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_log_agent.c
AddModule mod_log_referer.c
#AddModule mod_mime_magic.c
AddModule mod_mime.c
AddModule mod_negotiation.c
AddModule mod_status.c
AddModule mod_info.c
AddModule mod_include.c
AddModule mod_autoindex.c
AddModule mod_dir.c
AddModule mod_cgi.c
AddModule mod_asis.c
AddModule mod_imap.c
AddModule mod_actions.c
#AddModule mod_speling.c
AddModule mod_userdir.c
AddModule mod_alias.c
AddModule mod_rewrite.c
AddModule mod_access.c
AddModule mod_auth.c
AddModule mod_auth_anon.c
AddModule mod_auth_db.c
#AddModule mod_digest.c
#AddModule mod_proxy.c
#AddModule mod_cern_meta.c
AddModule mod_expires.c
AddModule mod_headers.c
#AddModule mod_usertrack.c
#AddModule mod_example.c
#AddModule mod_unique_id.c
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_setenvif.c
#AddModule mod_bandwidth.c
#AddModule mod_put.c
<IfDefine HAVE_PERL>
AddModule mod_perl.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP>
AddModule mod_php.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP3>
AddModule mod_php3.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_PHP4>
AddModule mod_php4.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_DAV>
AddModule mod_dav.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_ROAMING>
AddModule mod_roaming.c
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine HAVE_SSL>
AddModule mod_ssl.c
</IfDefine>

ServerName joelgrimes.net

ServerAdmin joel@stirlingbridge.com

Listen *:80

Port 80

ScoreBoardFile /var/run/httpd.scoreboard

NameVirtualHost 64.209.135.226

# Where do we put the lock and pif files?
LockFile /var/lock/httpd.lock
PidFile /var/run/httpd.pid
CoreDumpDirectory "/etc/httpd"

# Documents
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
UserDir public_html
IndexOptions FancyIndexing

# Who runs the server?
User apache
Group apache

# Performance parameters
MaxClients 150
TimeOut 300
KeepAlive false
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
MaxRequestsPerChild 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 8

# Error documents

# Misc

AccessFileName .htaccess
UseCanonicalName on
TypesConfig /etc/mime.types
DefaultType "text/plain"

ServerSignature on

ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/error_log

LogLevel warn

HostNameLookups Off

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/access_log common

Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

IndexOptions FancyIndexing

AddIconByEncoding (CMP,/icons/compressed.gif) x-compress x-gzip

AddIconByType (TXT,/icons/text.gif) text/*
AddIconByType (IMG,/icons/image2.gif) image/*
AddIconByType (SND,/icons/sound2.gif) audio/*
AddIconByType (VID,/icons/movie.gif) video/*

AddIcon /icons/binary.gif .bin .exe
AddIcon /icons/binhex.gif .hqx
AddIcon /icons/tar.gif .tar
AddIcon /icons/world2.gif .wrl .wrl.gz .vrml .vrm .iv
AddIcon /icons/compressed.gif .Z .z .tgz .gz .zip
AddIcon /icons/a.gif .ps .ai .eps
AddIcon /icons/layout.gif .html .shtml .htm .pdf
AddIcon /icons/text.gif .txt
AddIcon /icons/c.gif .c
AddIcon /icons/p.gif .pl .py
AddIcon /icons/f.gif .for
AddIcon /icons/dvi.gif .dvi
AddIcon /icons/uuencoded.gif .uu
AddIcon /icons/script.gif .conf .sh .shar .csh .ksh .tcl
AddIcon /icons/tex.gif .tex
AddIcon /icons/bomb.gif core

AddIcon /icons/back.gif ..
AddIcon /icons/hand.right.gif README
AddIcon /icons/folder.gif ^^DIRECTORY^^
AddIcon /icons/blank.gif ^^BLANKICON^^

DefaultIcon /icons/unknown.gif

ReadmeName README
HeaderName HEADER

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

AddEncoding x-compress Z
AddEncoding x-gzip gz tgz

AddLanguage en .en
AddLanguage fr .fr
AddLanguage de .de
AddLanguage da .da
AddLanguage el .el
AddLanguage it .it

LanguagePriority en fr de

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4 .php3 .phtml .php
</IfModule>

# The following is for PHP3:
<IfModule mod_php3.c>
  AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
  AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps
</IfModule>

# The following is for PHP/FI (PHP2):
<IfModule mod_php.c>
  AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml
</IfModule>

AddType application/x-tar .tgz

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

AddHandler imap-file map

BrowserMatch "Mozilla/2" nokeepalive
BrowserMatch "MSIE 4\.0b2;" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

BrowserMatch "RealPlayer 4\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "Java/1\.0" force-response-1.0
BrowserMatch "JDK/1\.0" force-response-1.0

# If the perl module is installed, this will be enabled.
<IfModule mod_perl.c>
  Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
  <Location /perl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI
  </Location>
</IfModule>

# Allow access to local system documentation from localhost
Alias /doc/ /usr/share/doc/
<Location /doc>
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  allow from localhost
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Location>

#
<IfDefine HAVE_SSL>

Listen 443

<VirtualHost _default_:443>

#  General setup for the virtual host
DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

SSLEngine on

SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt
#SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server-dsa.crt

#   both in parallel (to also allow the use of DSA ciphers, etc.)
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key
#SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server-dsa.key

#SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt

<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml)$">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
    SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Directory>

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown

CustomLog /var/log/httpd/ssl_request_log \
          "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"

</VirtualHost>

</IfDefine>

# Virtual hosts

# Virtual host Default Virtual Host
<VirtualHost _default_>

	ServerName _default_

	ServerSignature email

	DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml

	ServerSignature email

	LogLevel  warn
	HostNameLookups off

</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host taxbucks.com
<VirtualHost 64.209.135.226>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/html/taxbucks/

	ServerAdmin joel@stirlingbridge.com
	ServerName taxbucks.com
	DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerAlias www.taxbucks.com

</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host juliasmithlandscaping.com
<VirtualHost 64.209.135.226>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/html/juliasmithlandscaping/

	ServerAdmin joel@stirlingbridge.com
	ServerName juliasmithlandscaping.com
	DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerAlias www.juliasmithlandscaping.com

</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host joelgrimes.net
<VirtualHost 64.209.135.226>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/html/joelgrimes/

	ServerAdmin joel@stirlingbridge.com
	ServerName joelgrimes.net
	DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerAlias www.joelgrimes.net

</VirtualHost>

# Virtual host freetextbooks.org
<VirtualHost 64.209.135.226>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/html/freetextbooks/

	ServerAdmin joel@stirlingbridge.com
	ServerName freetextbooks.org
	DirectoryIndex  index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerAlias www.freetextbooks.org

</VirtualHost>

# Directories...

<Directory /var/www/html/joelgrimes/gallery/>
	AllowOverride Options Fileinfo
</Directory>

<Directory "/">
	Options FollowSymLinks

	AllowOverride None

</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/html">
	Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

	AllowOverride None
	Allow from all

	Order Deny,Allow
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
	Options Indexes MultiViews

	AllowOverride None
	Allow from all

	Order allow,deny
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
	Options ExecCGI

	AllowOverride None
	Allow from all

	Order allow,deny
</Directory>

Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow to respond to first request

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

Based on the fact that subsequent requests to the same server are
quick, it's possible this is a DNS problem. It could be that your
clients aren't correctly caching the resolved IP and the DNS for your
sites is particularly slow? Your server config looks ok to me, but I
don't have much experience with VHosts.

What version of Apache are you using? It'll probably be worth
upgrading to the latest (1.3.26 or 2.0.40) just to remove one
possibility of error.

Also, some more details on your network setup would be handy.

Thanks.

Chris Taylor - The guy with the PS2 WebServer
Email: chris@x-bb.org - PGP: http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

Posted by Michael <mi...@asstr.org>.
	I don't know if this problem is still relevant, but since you're not
using the access directectives (allow and order) I'd take those out to see if
they fix the problem. The issue I've found is that if you have those directives
in at all, Apache will attempt to verify every IP that connects to it. This
can result in the long timeouts you describe if your users' ISP doesn't
have a reverse mapping for every IP they've got (which is common).

	And yes, it will do the DNS queries even if you've got
HostNameLookups set to off (which you do) as long as it feels that it
needs to. You can see if it's doing this by checking your logs; if the
first column in the log entry is a hostname instead of an IP then Apache
is still doing DNS lookups.

	See here for more info:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html#runtime

- Michael