Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/13 19:58:21 UTC

Re: InstantiatedIndex Memory required

Hi Ravichandra,

this is a question better fitted the java-users maillinglist. On this
list we talk about the development of the Lucene API rather than how
to use it.

To answer your question, there is no simple formula that says how much
RAM an InstantiatedIndex will consume given the FSDirectory or
RAMDirectory size. Your index is however probably way too large for
when InstantiatedIndex is considerably faster than RAMDirecotry. There
is a diagram in the Javadocs that shows the speed on a Reuters index
as it grows in size:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/store/instantiated/package-summary.html#package_description

As milage varies on term saturation you should still try benchmarking
and see if there is anything to be gained. Try increasing Xmx to
whatever you have, you can also take a look at -XX:+AggressiveHeap.

      karl