Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Arun Kumar <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/11 19:38:09 UTC

How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Hi

   We are developing small video hosting application ,we are not writing
any special program for open the video file and send to player , simply we
are using tomcat DefaultServlet for above all  video request , now we have
to benchmark our application for following scenario

      1) video size 100MB (1080i HD)
      2) Total Network bandwidth 10Mbps (IN/OUT)

Now how to calculate how many max thread is allowed for above scenario
,with out interrupting users viewing experience,  here each video response
should secure 400kbps bandwidth for no interruption

   So my question is how many concurrent users can view videos without
interrupt then how to test this scenario ,and how tomcat is handling
bandwidth sharing across the request

Regards
Arunkumar

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by Arun Kumar <mi...@gmail.com>.
Christopher

   my native client is using http range parameter  for requesting video

Posted by Arun Kumar <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eli

Posted by Arun Kumar <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi *David */ Christopher
   Thanks for your useful reply

  So tomcat is utilizing full socket output stream capability for
corresponding threads :-)

Now i have some other querys , how many max concurrent users request is
allowed for following configuration , approximate number is enough dont
want jmeter result

  Processor : i3 core with 1.7 ghz
  RAM :3 GB

  Tomcat Heap : 1 GB

Re: (ATTN: ELI) How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by Eli <el...@yahoo.com>.
Ty did tht no help

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "George S." <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.

On 9/11/13 12:17 PM, Eli wrote:
> Can I ask a tomcat question here. I'm trying to use Tickets.com and get error message and it says tomcat with numbers after
Sure, but this is a list for people who are using Tomcat to write
software and deploy it.

The best thing to do would be to take a screen shot of your browser with
the error and send it to tickets.com support email.

It would also be helpful to them if you could include in as much detail
as possible the steps you followed to make the error happen.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 11, 2013, at 2:16 PM, "George S." <ge...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Really, Eli, if you hadn't noticed, there are unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the message:
>>

>> On 9/11/13 12:01 PM, Eli wrote:
>>> To complicated
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> --
>> George Sexton
>> MH Software, Inc.
>> 303 438-9585
>> http://www.mhsoftware.com/

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

Re: (ATTN: ELI) How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by Eli <el...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "George S." <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.

On 9/11/13 12:01 PM, Eli wrote:
> To complicated
>
> Sent from my iPhone

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
303 438-9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com/

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
On 9/11/2013 12:13 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Eli wrote:
>> To complicated
> Figures.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
> Cute, and so original.
> I haven't got one of those.
> It's Chuck's fault.  Ever since he told me that his iPhone had more RAM
> than my server, I've been snubbing them.

Then I won't mention my Android.

. . . not sent from my Android
/mde/

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Eli wrote:
> To complicated
Figures.

Posted by Eli <el...@yahoo.com>.
To complicated

Posted by "Larry Shatzer, Jr." <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eli <el...@yahoo.com>.
Who can answer a question

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

André,

On 9/11/13 3:41 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Arun Kumar wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We are developing small video hosting application ,we are not
>> writing any special program for open the video file and send to
>> player , simply we are using tomcat DefaultServlet for above all
>> video request , now we have to benchmark our application for
>> following scenario
>>
>> 1) video size 100MB (1080i HD) 2) Total Network bandwidth 10Mbps
>> (IN/OUT)
>>

>> Now how to calculate how many max thread is allowed for above
>> scenario ,with out interrupting users viewing experience,  here
>> each video response should secure 400kbps bandwidth for no
>> interruption
>
> 400 Kb/s = (approx.) 0.4 Mb/s
>
> So in the theoretical very best of cases, you could possibly serve
> 10 / 0.4 = 25 clients at the same time.
>
> But of course that will never happen, because there will always be
> something else using a part of that bandwidth at any one time, or
> preventing some of the 25 threads to be serving a video file.
>
> So, realistically, count about 50% of that ?
>

>> So my question is how many concurrent users can view videos
>> without interrupt then how to test this scenario ,and how tomcat
>> is handling bandwidth sharing across the request
>>

> Tomcat is not doing anything in terms of sharing the bandwidth
> equally between threads.
>
> Your best bet is to try this out in reality.  There are a number
> of client programs available that allow you to test this and
> measure the result. This one for instance :
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/ab.html Install Apache
> httpd (any 2.x version), it comes with it free.

Better yet, launch a bunch of the actual clients against a test
service, and see how many you can run usably before things start
lagging too much. That should give you a good idea of what is
possible. Hint: you probably need more bandwidth than you think you do.

- -chris

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

David,

On 9/11/13 1:48 PM, David kerber wrote:
> On 9/11/2013 1:38 PM, Arun Kumar wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We are developing small video hosting application ,we are not
>> writing any special program for open the video file and send to
>> player , simply we are using tomcat DefaultServlet for above all
>> video request , now we have to benchmark our application for
>> following scenario
>>
>> 1) video size 100MB (1080i HD) 2) Total Network bandwidth 10Mbps
>> (IN/OUT)
>>

>> Now how to calculate how many max thread is allowed for above
>> scenario ,with out interrupting users viewing experience,  here
>> each video response should secure 400kbps bandwidth for no
>> interruption
>>
>> So my question is how many concurrent users can view videos
>> without interrupt then how to test this scenario ,and how tomcat
>> is handling bandwidth sharing across the request
>
> Tomcat doesn't do any bandwidth sharing internally; that's up to
> your OS and network infrastructure.  Basically divide your network
> bandwidth's slowest point (probably the ISP connection) by the 400k
> you say you need per connection.  That is the number of
> simultaneous connections you should be able to support, assuming
> your server hardware can handle it (which it probably can).

There are lots of other factors to consider as well. A naive client
might download the entire movie before playing it. Disconnects might
end up higher than zero, so the client will have to tr-try and -- it
being a naive client -- might just re-start from the beginning. A
smarter client might be able to do a HEAD request to get the file size
and then use separate requests for chunks of a single file. If the
client thinks its being smart (but is really dumb), it might request
those chunks simultaneously "to improve performance".

If your 400kbps requirement per connection is well-researched and
correct, then you can handle:

 (X bandwidth in kbps) / (0.7 * 400 kbps)

The 0.7 factor is a rough estimate of network "waste" chatter required
to actually communicate. For example, if you have a 100Mbps
connection, you can't actually communicate data at that speed: the
connection supports bits moving at that speed, but there is more data
flying around than the data your application cares about.

- -chris

Re: How tomcat is handling bandwidth sharing across all request

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.