Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/06/28 07:19:54 UTC

log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

As you could probably tell from the flurry of commit messages, I've
been prepping another round of release candidates.  This time it
includes log4j 1.2.15 and a flock of companions.  If they pass an
initial sanity check, I'd like to proceed to a release vote on them.
If anyone else wants to look any or all of them, please go ahead.  If
it passes your inspection, start a [VOTE] thread on it.  I'm going to
double check the uploaded files against builds on a different VM and
do some internal validation tomorrow.  If nobody else has kicked off
a vote by that time, I'll start one once I do my double check.

Chainsaw hasn't been updated to reference these release candidates
and there is still the open question on how to address the loss of
repository properties in the move from log4j 1.3 to log4j 1.2.  One
of the possibilities would be to back-port that to log4j 1.2 itself,
however if that was the chosen approach, I would want to do it in a
quick 1.2.16 to avoid adding a relatively risky change at the last
minute to a long overdue and conservative maintenance release.  My
preferred approach would be to address the issue either within
Chainsaw or the Component companion (either in a subsequent RC or a
1.1 version).  I'll look at Chainsaw tomorrow and hopefully will have
a better answer for that.

All distribution files listed have a correponding .md5 file.  A list
of dependencies follows the companion.  If log4j 1.2.9+, then the
companion was build against log4j 1.2.9 and should work with any
later version of log4j and likely works with 1.2.8 and some earlier
versions).  The LS staging Maven repository (http:/people.apache.org/
builds/logging/repo) contains all the associated jars and POMs.

log4j 1.2.15 RC 4
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/1.2.15/apache-
log4j-1.2.15_rc4.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/1.2.15/apache-
log4j-1.2.15_rc4.zip

component 1.0 RC 3 (requires log4j 1.2.15 RC 4)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/component/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/component/
1.0/apache-log4j-component-1.0_rc3.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/component/
1.0/apache-log4j-component-1.0_rc3.zip

filters 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+, oro 2.0.8)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/filters/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/filters/1.0/
apache-log4j-filters-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/filters/1.0/
apache-log4j-filters-1.0_rc1.zip

LogMF 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/logmf/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/logmf/1.0/
apache-log4j-logmf-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/logmf/1.0/
apache-log4j-logmf-1.0_rc1.zip

LogSF 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/logsf/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/logsf/1.0/
apache-log4j-logsf-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/logsf/1.0/
apache-log4j-logsf-1.0_rc1.zip

Pattern Layout 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/pattern-layout/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/pattern-
layout/1.0/apache-log4j-pattern-layout-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/pattern-
layout/1.0/apache-log4j-pattern-layout-1.0_rc1.zip

Receivers 1.0 RC 1 (JMS 1.1, component 1.0 RC 3, filters 1.0 RC 1,
oro 2.0.8)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/receivers/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/receivers/
1.0/apache-log4j-receivers-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/receivers/
1.0/apache-log4j-receivers-1.0_rc1.zip

Rolling 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+, pattern-layout 1.0 RC 1, filters 1.0
RC 1)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/rolling/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/rolling/1.0/
apache-log4j-rolling-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/rolling/1.0/
apache-log4j-rolling-1.0_rc1.zip

Sound 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9+)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/sound/
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/sound/1.0/
apache-log4j-sound-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/sound/1.0/
apache-log4j-sound-1.0_rc1.zip

Re: log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
thanks Curt for the rework of the naming and pom.  I did a poor job
of copying various files across to that package; my apologise.
You've got a keen eye for detail.

Paul

> Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/zeroconf

Doesn't appear visible to me yet.

Re: log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Lets add another companion release candidate to the mix.
ZeroConfSocketHubAppender was extracted from Chainsaw and repacked
for use with log4j 1.2.9.  I changed the name from log4j-zeroconf to
apache-log4j-zeroconf (will update Chainsaw's POM shortly).

Zeroconf 1.0 RC 1 (log4j 1.2.9, JmDNS 1.0)
Online doc: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/zeroconf
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/zeroconf/1.0/
apache-log4j-zeroconf-1.0_rc1.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/zeroconf/1.0/
apache-log4j-zeroconf-1.0_rc1.zip

Re: log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:03 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I pulled everything about 2 weeks ago and ran everything through
> Chainsaw.
>
> The backported receivers which set properties on events (all of the
> new network appenders) are throwing NPEs - around the property
> setting code if I recall.
>
> We should do something about that - by either supporting properties
> or preventing the NPEs.

Stack traces or other details would be really helpful.  I was not
aware that you were seeing NPE's.  I thought that the problem was
that setting repository properties on LoggerRepositoryExImpl wasn't
causing values to show up in dispatched LoggingEvents which was
expected and I thought could be resolved either in Chainsaw or
Component.   Let's tentatively hold component and receivers till
those are resolved.

However, all of the other components that are listed as depending on
log4j 1.2.9+ have no dependency on anything that might be changed to
resolve the issue and can still be evaluated for release.

I'm booked for the next 12 hours or so, but will dive into it if you
can provide stack traces or other analysis.

Re: log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:03 AM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> I pulled everything about 2 weeks ago and ran everything through
> Chainsaw.
>
> The backported receivers which set properties on events (all of the
> new network appenders) are throwing NPEs - around the property
> setting code if I recall.
>
> We should do something about that - by either supporting properties
> or preventing the NPEs.

Any chance you could recreate the test and provide stack traces or a
description on how to reproduce the observed problem?  Pretty much
stalled on addressing it until then.

RE: log4j 1.2.15 and companion release candidates

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
I pulled everything about 2 weeks ago and ran everything through Chainsaw.

The backported receivers which set properties on events (all of the new network appenders) are throwing NPEs - around the property setting code if I recall.

We should do something about that - by either supporting properties or preventing the NPEs.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201