Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erin Lester <ec...@student.math.uwaterloo.ca> on 2001/07/18 23:20:42 UTC

Generate Excel File

Hi, I'm trying to generate an excel file as the response returned from a
servlet.  I have set the response's content type to
"application/vnd.ms-excel" and this seems to cause excel to open.  The
data I return is comma separated values.

Once upon a time I read on a newsgroup (don't think it was this one) that
someone had done the same thing and excel interpreted the data as a csv
file and it displayed nicely in excel.  Unfortunately excel seems to think
that the entire row of comma separated values that I'm sending it is one
single cell (not a row of cells which are the values between the commas).

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong or of another way to generate an
excel spreadsheet using JSP?

Thanks!
Erin