Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Di Li <di...@ca.ibm.com> on 2015/12/17 23:03:27 UTC

Does ambari keep track of which user logs in and starts/stops what service

Hello folks,

I am wondering if ambari keeps track of which user (admin, or any other
user) logs in and the actions submitted (start/stop services, etc).  The
reason is that I would like to know if I can use such info to audit which
user logged in at what time and did what on the server.  It's probably
far-stretched, but does ambari also keep track of hostname/ip of incoming
rest api calls (like which host submitted what rest api call)?

I know ambari server keeps track of configuration changes (which user id
changed what) in the ambari-config-changes.log file.

Thank you.

Di Li
InfoSphere BigInsights
IBM Ottawa Lab Palladium Campus
Email: dili@ca.ibm.com
Phone: 613-270-4883, Tie-line:315-4883

Re: Does ambari keep track of which user logs in and starts/stops what service

Posted by Robert Levas <rl...@hortonworks.com>.
Hey Di Li…

Currently Ambari does not have such a facility.  The current architecture of Ambari’s REST API makes this difficult as you need to interpret each API call to determine what the user is trying to do.  With the addition of role-based access control, we now have a single point where we can log authorization attempts (see org.apache.ambari.server.security.authorization.AuthorizationHelper#isAuthorized) in which logging needs to be added; however this is still at a really high level as the authorizations are on things like "Start/Stop/Restart Services" and “Manage Alerts” - see org.apache.ambari.server.security.authorization.RoleAuthorization for the complete list.

Rob