Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org> on 2004/09/11 01:09:55 UTC

Tomcat integration - let's have Tomcat working in Geronimo

Hi,

It's pretty obvious to have Apache Tomcat running in Geronimo. It's also
  obvious to have more people involved in Geronimo development. And
finally the docs - we need more documentation on Geronimo internals.

All of the points made me think to begin working on Tomcat integration
in Geronimo. That's how I hope to gain more knowledge about Geronimo
internals and show people that it's very easy to plug other open source
projects into Geronimo.

Thus,...

I'm creating the 'tomcat' module, and will ask you, lurkers, to show up
and help me in it. Let's start with Alex's example Dain included in one
of his last emails and extend it (as outlined in Jeremy's email). One
day will have Tomcat running and more committers on the board.

That's a way you can become committer, so the sooner you'll start coding
the module, the sooner you'll get the priviledges.

That's the chance you cannot afford to pass you by.

NOTE: The module won't show up before the svn conversion (which may
happen later tonight), so in the meantime check
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/GBeans frequently.

Jacek

Re: Tomcat integration - let's have Tomcat working in Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 10, 2004, at 9:32 PM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> Hi Jacek,
>      I would like to volunteer for this work.
>  Six months ago N. Alex Rupp wrote to
> <ge...@incubator.apache.org>, subject : Does
> Geronimo use tomcat? -
>   "...............However, I must warn you.  Tomcat is
> not capable of being truly
> integrated into
> the Geronimo environment, because it does not use a
> componentized
> architectural
> style.  Tomcat is very much an application, which can
> be bolted onto
> the side of
> Geronimo, but cannot be broken down and encapsulated
> into GBeans which
> are then
> able to be individually managed by the
> container............"
>      Do you know if these issues have been resolved?

Not that I know of, but I bet we can work with the Tomcat team to come
up with a compromise :)

I'm excited to see this take off.

-dain

Re: Tomcat integration - let's have Tomcat working in Geronimo

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jacek,
     I would like to volunteer for this work.
 Six months ago N. Alex Rupp wrote to
<ge...@incubator.apache.org>, subject : Does
Geronimo use tomcat? -
  "...............However, I must warn you.  Tomcat is
not capable of being truly
integrated into
the Geronimo environment, because it does not use a
componentized
architectural
style.  Tomcat is very much an application, which can
be bolted onto
the side of
Geronimo, but cannot be broken down and encapsulated
into GBeans which
are then
able to be individually managed by the
container............"
     Do you know if these issues have been resolved?

                                                 TIA
                                                Anita

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail