Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Hanasaki JiJi <ha...@hanaden.com> on 2003/03/01 16:08:30 UTC

Jakarata taglibs and JSTL

Anyone care to share thoughts on which taglibs from jakarta are
overlapping/complimentary/justUnique with respect to JSTL?

Thanks
= Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the     =
=       right things.    - Peter Drucker                        =

JCE Taglib

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
This looks like a pretty useful taglib:

http://jcetaglib.sourceforge.net/

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Hen

Re: Jakarata taglibs and JSTL

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I did it a little bit back, but it could have been on Dev list.

I believe that currently my obvious toolset would be:

JSTL, Log, Regexp, String.
[also Iterators in the sandbox by its description]

Each of these are generic enough to be something I'd expect to be
available to me in any JSP page, and I'd expect them to be complimentary.

The nightly String build does allow EL-ization. Doing the same for Log and
Regexp is on my todo list.

The next set are the overlapping [which to all extents and purposes I
believe will be overriding and see no more development on the Jakarta
taglibs]:

Application
DateTime
DBTags
I18N
Page
Request
Response
Session
XTags

While they may have functionalities not in JSTL, it's a typical example of
a weaker standard being better than a stronger proprietary solution.

Next there are the alsoUnique set, which I interpret as being outside the
scope and range of a web designer's normal usage [which is JSTL's scope]:

IO
JMS
Cache
Benchmark
BSF
Mailer
Scrape

Generally I view these as being a way of handling small programming tasks
in the JSP rather than hidden away in Java. I would not expect these to be
in a JSP environment but would expect them to be architectual choices.

Bear in mind that I'm only actively involved in 2 of these tags [I wrote
String and I maintain Log]. There's also some work underway into a JUTL to
complement JSTL [unstandard instead of standard] which may pull the pieces
of functionality that the deprecated [someday] taglibs had that JSTL
doesn't. Tim O'Brien has added an instanceof and ignore-case-equals tag to
it and I'm working on a couple.

Hen