Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/26 17:45:15 UTC

[Maven reorg] Reorganizing DBF?

Hi all
I left DBF as the last project to reorganize.
Correct if I am wrong, but it seems a dead project, not used anywhere
except in DBF itself.
Does it make sense to even *attempt* to Maven-reorganize it?

Another question: what is the link between Velocity and DBF? At a
first glance, it does not seem to use Velocity at all, so what is it
for?

Thanks
Antonio

Re: [Maven reorg] Reorganizing DBF?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/7/27 Andrei Ionescu <ai...@yahoo.com>:
>>> Thanks Andrei for the clarification. Do you know what was the
>>> modification and why it was not included in DBF itself?
>>
>> Sorry, the answer to the first question is in the site you mentioned:
>>
>> <snip>
>> Upgraded to Apache FOP v0.95 (this version supports soft page breaks)
>> Upgraded to Docbook XLS v1.75.0 (this version supports syntax
>> highlighting)
>> Includes XSLTHL syntax highlighter version 2.0.1
>> </snip>
>>
>> However I still cannot imagine why it was not included in DBF.
>
> Maybe nobody with commit rights had the time for this? :).
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-13
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-11
>
> If you look into the Velocity JIRA there are also some requests
> (not assigned :( ), to use/improve this project:
> - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-12
>  -> this would make DBF rock since Deja Vu is a fantastic and much faster
> alternative to PDF.
>
> - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-8
>   -> the last comment from Joseph makes much more sense to me too.

These are all feature request, with no patch. It seems that no one
with commit rights is even interested in developing it.

> And also I think this should be done, since DocBook is *the format*
> for technical documentation(and even books):
> - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-769

Why? Doxia can generate books from a variety of documents, including
xdoc and Simplified Docbook. It's only a matter of configuration.

Posted by Andrei Ionescu <ai...@yahoo.com>.
>> Thanks Andrei for the clarification. Do you know what was the
>> modification and why it was not included in DBF itself?
>
> Sorry, the answer to the first question is in the site you mentioned:
>
> <snip>
> Upgraded to Apache FOP v0.95 (this version supports soft page breaks)
> Upgraded to Docbook XLS v1.75.0 (this version supports syntax highlighting)
> Includes XSLTHL syntax highlighter version 2.0.1
> </snip>
>
> However I still cannot imagine why it was not included in DBF.
Maybe nobody with commit rights had the time for this? :).
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-13
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-11

If you look into the Velocity JIRA there are also some requests
(not assigned :( ), to use/improve this project:
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-12
   -> this would make DBF rock since Deja Vu is a fantastic and much
faster alternative to PDF.

- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBF-8
    -> the last comment from Joseph makes much more sense to me too.

And also I think this should be done, since DocBook is *the format*
for technical documentation(and even books):
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-769

regards,
Andrei.

Re: [Maven reorg] Reorganizing DBF?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Ionescu <ai...@yahoo.com>.
> Hi all
> I left DBF as the last project to reorganize.
> Correct if I am wrong, but it seems a dead project, not used anywhere
> except in DBF itself.
Wrong.
This project is using it:
http://click.apache.org/
with a small modification, that wasn't included in the original, so for
simplicity is also copied here:
http://code.google.com/p/click-docbook/

There are also many "internal" projects that are using DBF (or modified
DBF versions) for their DocBook based documentation.

regards,
Andrei.

Re: [Maven reorg] Reorganizing DBF?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/7/26 Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>:
> I left DBF as the last project to reorganize.
> Correct if I am wrong, but it seems a dead project, not used anywhere
> except in DBF itself.
> Does it make sense to even *attempt* to Maven-reorganize it?

Seeing its project structure I think it does not make sense, since it
is a way to apply XSLT and CSS stylesheet to docbook files in an Ant
build file, it's not an Ant task and it does not possess a single Java
file.

Antonio