Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/18 21:03:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (Incubating) as a TLP

BCC'ing all mentors

Hi MXNet Community,

Apache MXNet (incubating) has been an incubating project since January,
2017[1]. Since then, the project has matured and adopted the Apache
Software Foundation’s principles and philosophy around building and
maintaining open source software. There is a thriving community of
developers and users from all over the world that regularly contribute to
the project.

Here is a brief overview of the progress of the Apache MXNet (incubating)
project and community since entering the incubator:

Community

   -

   37 new PPMC members were added, bringing the total number of PPMC
   members to 50
   -

   55 new committers were added (which include new PPMC members), bringing
   the total number of committers to 86
   -

   The total number of contributors is now 870 and growing.
   -

   project discussions happen there.

Project

   -

   18 releases[3] by 13 different release managers. All compliance issues
   have been resolved with the 1.9.0 and 2.0.beta releases.
   -

   MXNet website[4] is now compliant with Apache Project Website
   requirements[5]
   -

   MXNet has completed the project maturity self assessment[6]

Concerns

Although I think most of the issues noted below have been resolved, I did
want to bring up a few problems that have been identified with the project
in the past.

Licensing and Branding Issues

The IPMC brought up some release and branding issues and filed a JIRA
ticket[7] back in June, 2020. The community addressed the concerns but the
ticket remains open.

We also went through an extensive license audit throughout the 1.9.0
release[8][9], switch from using a DISCLAIMER-WIP to DISCLAIMER and added
automated license checking tools to prevent future licensing issues from
being introduced.  We are confident we now comply with ASF requirements and
have the tools in-place to stay compliant.

Distribution Rights and IP Clearance

Our project status page[1] does not have dates under the Copyright and
Verify Distribution Rights sections. Based on the ticket[10] when the
source code was initially imported, an SGA was not required since MXNet
wasn’t developed by a commercial entity. Since the code was already Apache
2.0 licensed, there was not a formal IP Clearance process completed. Based
on the extensive license audit completed for the 1.9.0 release, I believe
we can use the date when the release passed the general@incubator vote when
the Distribution Rights were verified. Unless there are objections, I will
get these dates set on the status page after this discussion has completed.

Chair for Project

In part of our draft resolution that we will create to be considered by the
Apache Board, we must appoint a Chair to represent the project. Based on
his long project history and continued involvement, I would like to
nominate Sheng Zha as the project Chair.

This discussion will be open for at least 72 hours.

[2] lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@mxnet.apache.org
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases
[4] https://mxnet.apache.org/
[5] https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
[6]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+MXNet
[7] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-253
[8] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/20475
[9] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/20616

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for the feedback and comments. Based on the responses, the
community overwhelmingly supports graduation. I will start a voting thread
in this list shortly.

Posted by Hongliang Liu <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mu Li <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi all, and I’m also planing to leave the Podling after its graduation,
I don’t think I can offer helps after its graduation, I jumped in back to
when there is no enough active mentors to vote, now that we are graduating
as a top level project and I believe the folks can manage the project as well
as its branding / license stuffs.

> [...]
>
> Chair for Project
>
> In part of our draft resolution that we will create to be considered by the Apache Board, we must appoint a Chair to represent the project. Based on his long project history and continued involvement, I would like to nominate Sheng Zha as the project Chair.
>

> This discussion will be open for at least 72 hours.

—————————
Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
GitHub @kezhenxu94

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Yuan Tang <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 Interested but it would be great to clarify how the process works. Is
there a reference? Also 72 hours is way too short in case of vacations or
simply missed the email notification.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:41 PM Chris Olivier <cj...@apache.org>
wrote:

> responding although I am also suspicious of the process
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 4:11 PM Marco de Abreu <ma...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I’m not sure that this is the way this process works. I can recall from
>> the back of my mind that unless somebody opts out (you’re requesting an
>> opt-in), they will graduate from a PPMC to a PMC.
>>
>> Would you be so kind to check again to make sure we’re following the
>> right process?
>>
>> -Marco
>>
>> On Fri 22. Apr 2022 at 01:08, Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +CC'ing all PPMC to ensure visibility
>>>
>>> Hi MXNet Community,
>>>
>>> Just to follow-up on this discussion, I am currently working on drafting
>>> a resolution to be considered by the Apache board for graduating the MXNet
>>> project. I believe typically all PPMC are appointed to be initial members
>>> of the graduated top-level project. We have a large number (50) of PPMC and
>>> I believe not all PPMC are still active and may have no interest in being a
>>> member of the newly graduated project. I'd like to request all PPMC that
>>> would like to be included as an initial member in the resolution to please
>>> respond on this thread within the next 72 hours so we can finalize the
>>> resolution.

>>> --
Yuan Tang
https://terrytangyuan.github.io/about/

Posted by Przemysław Trędak <pt...@apache.org>.
+1 from me as well.

Thanks,
Przemek

Posted by Tong He <th...@apache.org>.
+1 for graduation

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Xingjian SHI <xs...@connect.ust.hk>.
+1 for graduation

________________________________
Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Carin Meier <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 for graduation

Posted by Leonard Lausen <la...@apache.org>.
+1 for graduation

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Thomas DELTEIL <th...@gmail.com>.
+1 for graduation

Posted by Dick Carter <di...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nan Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
responding and I think it is by default every PPMC member continue to be
the member in the new project

Posted by Xingjian SHI <xs...@connect.ust.hk>.
+1 on opt-out

________________________________

Posted by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Naveen Swamy <ns...@apache.org>.
The process is an opt-out not an opt-in, everyone here has paid their price
long back in one way or another. Please refrain from making decisions for
all.
Can you also point to the 72 hour deadline that was put?

-Naveen

Posted by la...@live.com.

Posted by Chris Olivier <cj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@apache.org>.