Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net> on 2004/03/12 06:24:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Slightly OT.... awstats usage

'evening, all.

I know this question is slightly off topic, but I would imagine that
many Administrators use awstats for stats tracking and such.  If you
haven't used it, I would highly recommend checking it out (end of my
shameless plug).  I would also prefer to not sign up for another mailing
list here, and I have searched their ml archives for an answer, but have
not discovered any answers.

I was looking for a function in awstats that would track bandwidth usage
per user.  Does one exist?  I've searched FAQs and such from their site,
but have come up with no answers.

That's pretty much it.  I thought I'd throw that question out to you
all, also in an effort to get some real-world feedback from others that
might use this program in conjunction with Apache.

Thanks for the time taken to read this message, even though it may be a
bit OT.  I do appreciate it.

Thanks
-dant

Re: [users@httpd] Slightly OT.... awstats usage

Posted by Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
Dan Trainor wrote:

> 'evening, all.
>
> I know this question is slightly off topic, but I would imagine that
> many Administrators use awstats for stats tracking and such.  If you
> haven't used it, I would highly recommend checking it out (end of my
> shameless plug).  I would also prefer to not sign up for another mailing
> list here, and I have searched their ml archives for an answer, but have
> not discovered any answers.
>
> I was looking for a function in awstats that would track bandwidth usage
> per user.  Does one exist?  I've searched FAQs and such from their site,
> but have come up with no answers.
>
> That's pretty much it.  I thought I'd throw that question out to you
> all, also in an effort to get some real-world feedback from others that
> might use this program in conjunction with Apache.
>
> Thanks for the time taken to read this message, even though it may be a
> bit OT.  I do appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
> -dant

It's nearly impossible to track per-user stats by just looking at log
files.  The problem is 1 IP address != 1 user.  Many users sit behind
proxies and will come from one IP adderss as well as some users will
come from one IP address one minute and then their proxy will
automatically change and be coming from another IP address.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)