Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Roland Hänel <ro...@haenel.me> on 2010/04/15 10:02:09 UTC

Row key: string or binary (byte[])?

Is there any effort ongoing to make the row key a binary (byte[]) instead of
a string? In the current cassandra.thrift file (0.6.0), I find:

const string VERSION = "2.1.0"
[...]
struct KeySlice {
    1: required *string* key,
    2: required list<ColumnOrSuperColumn> columns,
}

while on the current (?) SVN
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/trunk/interface/cassandra.thriftit
reads:

const string VERSION = "4.0.0"
[...]
struct KeySlice {
1: required *binary* key,
2: required list<ColumnOrSuperColumn> columns,
}

Thanks for enlightening me. :-)

Greetings,
Roland

Re: Row key: string or binary (byte[])?

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
2010/4/15 Roland Hänel <ro...@haenel.me>:
> Is there any effort ongoing to make the row key a binary (byte[]) instead of
> a string?

Yes. It went into trunk last night. Please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-767.

Gary.