Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2003/02/10 20:23:36 UTC

JAR Licenses in Apache Software Distributions

you'll be aware that there have been some recent policty decisions with
the goal of tightening down on the licenses of packages that are shipped
inside Apache software products.  When looking at our Struts
distributions, the only software that is *not* originally Apache code is
the JDBC 2.0 optional package, which defines things like
javax.sql.DataSource.

The Sun license under which jdbc2_0-stdext.jar was downloaded allows
redistribution when packaged in the manner we are doing so -- but, it
seems to me, that we don't really need to supply it.  Any servlet
container that supports data sources is going to have it available already
(as will anyone running a 1.4 or later JDK, which incorporates these APIs
already).  Therefore, I propose to remove it from the binary distributions
of Struts that we create.

This package will continue to be a compile-time dependency for building
Struts itself, so anyone who builds Struts from source (and isn't running
on 1.4) will need to provide this.  That's fine -- the developer will have
had to accept the license terms to acquire this JAR file, and it's not our
issue any longer.

If we make this change, Struts will become a "100% Apache Code"
distribution, which will be fun to crow about a little, too :-).

Comments?

Craig

Re: JAR Licenses in Apache Software Distributions

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 for Struts as 100% Apache Code. :-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@sfeir.net>.
+1

On Monday, Feb 10, 2003, at 14:23 US/Eastern, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> you'll be aware that there have been some recent policty decisions with
> the goal of tightening down on the licenses of packages that are
> shipped
> inside Apache software products.  When looking at our Struts
> distributions, the only software that is *not* originally Apache code
> is
> the JDBC 2.0 optional package, which defines things like
> javax.sql.DataSource.
>
> The Sun license under which jdbc2_0-stdext.jar was downloaded allows
> redistribution when packaged in the manner we are doing so -- but, it
> seems to me, that we don't really need to supply it.  Any servlet
> container that supports data sources is going to have it available
> already
> (as will anyone running a 1.4 or later JDK, which incorporates these
> APIs
> already).  Therefore, I propose to remove it from the binary
> distributions
> of Struts that we create.
>
> This package will continue to be a compile-time dependency for building
> Struts itself, so anyone who builds Struts from source (and isn't
> running
> on 1.4) will need to provide this.  That's fine -- the developer will
> have
> had to accept the license terms to acquire this JAR file, and it's not
> our
> issue any longer.
>
> If we make this change, Struts will become a "100% Apache Code"
> distribution, which will be fun to crow about a little, too :-).
>
> Comments?
>
> Craig

Robert S. Sfeir
Senior Java Engineer
National Institutes of Health
Center for Information Technology
Department of Enterprise Custom Applications
sfeir@mail.nih.gov