Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> on 2020/12/02 09:28:30 UTC

How to reset/remove the stored Git password?

Hello,

I accidently entered the wrong password for my git remote server and chose "Save password".

How can I delete that stored password? (NetBeans seems to try to use the old password, causing my Git account to be locked)

I could find a "svn" sub-directory in my NetBeans User directory which apparently stores this for Subversion, but nothing for git.

Thanks
Thomas

Re: How to reset/remove the stored Git password?

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 09:49, Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 09:25, Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> It would still be interesting where NetBeans stores that password.
>>
>> Ultimately NetBeans uses the Keyring class which delegates to a
> platform-dependent KeyringProvider.
>
> While it's in my mind (I checked up on this) the important
classes/interfaces are:

* org.eclipse.jgit.transport.CredentialsProvider (need to implement this
and pass an instance to JGit so it can do its work)
* org.netbeans.libs.git.jgit.JGitCredentialsProvider (implements
CredentialsProvider, gets credentials from a GitClientCallback)
* org.netbeans.modules.git.client.CredentialsCallback (gets credentials
from GitModuleConfig, implements GitClientCallback)
* org.netbeans.modules.git.GitModuleConfig (stores/retrieves
ConnectionSettings via KeyringSupport)
* org.netbeans.modules.versioning.util.KeyringSupport (helper class between
GitModuleConfig and Keyring)
* org.netbeans.api.keyring.Keyring (delegates to platform dependent
provider)

Phew!

Re: How to reset/remove the stored Git password?

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
Peter Hull schrieb am 03.12.2020 um 11:46:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 09:49, Peter Hull <peterhull90@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I can see implementations for Gnome, KWallet and Mac, not sure about Windows. There is a class called FallbackProvider which is maybe used for windows?
>
> Sorry, last one. Specifically on Windows it does use the FallbackProvider and the passwords are stored encrypted in
> %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\[VERSION]\config\Preferences\org\netbeans\modules\keyring
> where [VERSION] is 12.2 or whatever.

Ah, that's the one I was looking for in the data directory. Thanks

Jiří's tip to re-enter the password worked for now, but it's good to know what files to clear out if something like that happens again.

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/abe93502d5010781955ad22102893d03326c72e2/platform/keyring/src/org/netbeans/api/keyring/Keyring.java
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/abe93502d5010781955ad22102893d03326c72e2/platform/keyring/src/org/netbeans/spi/keyring/KeyringProvider.java
I can see implementations for Gnome, KWallet and Mac, not sure about
Windows. There is a class called FallbackProvider which is maybe used for
windows?

You will be able to see the provider if you enable logging for "
org.netbeans.modules.keyring" at the FINE level.
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/abe93502d5010781955ad22102893d03326c72e2/platform/keyring/src/org/netbeans/api/keyring/Keyring.java#L75

Pete

Re: How to reset/remove the stored Git password?

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
Thanks, that did the trick.

Posted by Jiří Svoboda <sv...@thb.cz>.

Posted by Malcolm Fitzgerald <ma...@notyourhomework.net>.