Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/08/12 22:33:52 UTC

dealing with Outlook (fwd)

FYI for anyone who's thinking of working with Outlook at the plugin/pst
level; spambayes have done the legwork ;)

- --j.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> FYI for anyone who's thinking of working with Outlook at the plugin/pst
> level; spambayes have done the legwork ;)

In fact there at least a handful of PST readers (and some writers) available
if you look around.  Of varying quality and cost of course, with no direct
correlation between those two variables.

Interfacing to Outlook (but NOT OE) at the UI level is actually tollerably
well documented and MS provides a toolkit of sorts, and it is really not a
whole lot more arcane and baroque and convoluted than anything else in
Windoze (ie: it is incredibly bizarre and arcane, but there are people that
understand how to write that stuff).

Interfacing to OE at the UI level (like to add buttons for classifying spam
and ham) IS possible, but is *incredibly* arcane.  It basically requires
going in and subclassing the window and stealing the message loop to process
your own controls.

If anyone is interested in doing this, look at the PGP source, which is free
if you get an older version.  They have nicely integrated their stuff with
OE, including snarfing the message source, en/decrypting it, adding buttons,
and all manner of good stuff that would be very nice for a spam interface.

I considered this once, but after looking at the code I had stomache
problems for a week, and decided to work on something else...

        Loren