Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/20 11:47:20 UTC

AltRMI Tasks if anyone want to take them

Folks,

1) JNDI bindings.  Avalon-Excalibur has a generic provider for RMI.  It
should be fairly easy to copy for AltRMI. If keen, I can pass on URLs to
the CVS files.

2) True dynamic proxy generation.  At the moment the proxies are created
via Ant tasks, Using either BCEL or JCFE it will be possible to make
them in the VM at runtime and on-demand.  I'm lacking the experience
with these tools to start/complete the job.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: AltRMI Tasks if anyone want to take them

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
James,

>>1) JNDI bindings.  Avalon-Excalibur has a generic provider for RMI.  It
>>should be fairly easy to copy for AltRMI. If keen, I can pass on URLs to
>>the CVS files.
>>

>Just a thought - there's a bunch of JNDI code, utilities and providers all
>over the place in different projects. Maybe its worth trying to get some of
>the utility code together into a new commons project?

Excalibur people's hearts break a little (understandably) when this is
proposed.  Avalon was at one stage supposed to be useful, reusable,
patterns based  foundation code for server apps or servlet environment
apps.  I have never contributed much to Excalbur but can't help feeling
loyal to my Avalon comrades.....

Regards,

- Paul

Re: AltRMI Tasks if anyone want to take them

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
> 1) JNDI bindings.  Avalon-Excalibur has a generic provider for RMI.  It
> should be fairly easy to copy for AltRMI. If keen, I can pass on URLs to
> the CVS files.

Just a thought - there's a bunch of JNDI code, utilities and providers all
over the place in different projects. Maybe its worth trying to get some of
the utility code together into a new commons project?

James