Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2008/01/05 16:12:14 UTC

Strange links on Component sites

Hi Oleg,

in the grey horizontal navbar between the logos and the
site content, there are duplicate links to HttpComponents
for the component pages:

http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/index.html
http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/index.html

The module pages have links to Apache and HttpComponents,
but the HttpComponents link points to the component (core
or client) rather than the HttpComponents main page.
That's OK from a navigation point of view, but the link
should probably have a different name then.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: Strange links on Component sites

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 05.01.2008, at 16:12, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> in the grey horizontal navbar between the logos and the
> site content, there are duplicate links to HttpComponents
> for the component pages:
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/index.html
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/index.html
>
> The module pages have links to Apache and HttpComponents,
> but the HttpComponents link points to the component (core
> or client) rather than the HttpComponents main page.
> That's OK from a navigation point of view, but the link
> should probably have a different name then.

This was caused by the inconsistent usage of <link> tags in the
different site.xml's - I have synced everything up and it looks good
locally. I've also improved the navigation of the module sites by
adding the component-specific overview menus (plus various other
things, see my recent commits).

Would be nice if somebody could check the stuff locally and maybe
deploy the whole site, incl. components and modules - I don't seem to
be able to get the httpclient and httpcore sub-sites built correctly
anymore (Maven moands about missing artifacts, did I mention that
this Maven crap feels utterly overblown for web site stuff?)... :-)

TIA!

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Strange links on Component sites

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 09:21 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
> > This _appears_ to have been caused by the way Maven's site descriptor
> > inheritance works (or is meant to work, actually). Apparently the site
> > plugin was unable to locate the project POM and therefore was unable to
> > generate the navigation links properly.
> >
> > The problem seems to have been solved by setting a relative path to the
> > project POM in the respective components POMs. I just redeployed the
> > site. Let's see what happens.
>
> It didn't help over night. I have now redeployed the site
> because of the stylesheet issue. What was generated on my
> machine still has the duplicate HttpComponents links.

Interestingly enough links look okay when I deploy the site to a staging
directory locally but appear to get messed up again when deployed to the
server. Oh well, Maven is one of those wonderful things that cause as
many issues as it solves. I'll try to look into the problem while
updating the site for the HttpCore 4.0b1 release

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 16:12 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> in the grey horizontal navbar between the logos and the
> site content, there are duplicate links to HttpComponents
> for the component pages:
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-core/index.html
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/index.html
>
> The module pages have links to Apache and HttpComponents,
> but the HttpComponents link points to the component (core
> or client) rather than the HttpComponents main page.
> That's OK from a navigation point of view, but the link
> should probably have a different name then.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Roland