Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Davor Bonaci <da...@apache.org> on 2017/04/29 01:22:04 UTC

Status of our CI tools

Early on in the project, we've discussed our CI needs and concluded to use
ASF-hosted Jenkins as our preferred tool of choice. We've also enabled
Travis-CI, which covered some scenarios that Jenkins couldn't do at the
time, but with the idea to transition to Jenkins eventually.

Over the last few months, Travis-CI has been broken consistently, and
several different kinds of infrastructure breakages have been added, one on
top of another. This has caused plenty of cost and confusion. In
particular, contributors often get confused as to which signal they should
care about.

At the same time, Jenkins capabilities have improved greatly: multiple
parallel precommits are now supported, checked-in DSL support, pipelined
matrix builds, Google's donation of Jenkins executors more than doubled,
and others.

So, based on the previous consensus and the fact the signal was broken for
a long time, Jason and I went and asked Infra to disable Travis-CI on our
code repository. (Website repository was disabled months ago.)

I believe there should be minimal impact of this. The only two elements of
the Travis matrix that were passing (still) are Python SDK on the Linux &
Mac. Linux one can be trivially moved to Jenkins -- and I know Jason is
looking at that. Mac coverage is the only loss at the moment, but is
something we can likely address in the (near) future.

I'm excited that we finally managed to unify our CI tooling, and can make
efforts on improving and maintaining one system as opposed to two. That
said, please comment if you have any worries about this or ideas for
further CI improvements ;-)

Davor

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@apache.org>.
+1 for letting Jenkins rule alone :)

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Thomas Groh <tg...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@gmail.com>.
Big +1 also,

I've been ignoring Travis for some months also.

I totally agree with what Dan wrote.

Best

Etienne

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com.INVALID>.
+1

So far, I've been able to commit to Python SDK without caring much about
Travis. At least for now, it's not too hard to do testing locally in rare
cases where Jenkins is not stable. Hopefully Jenkins will become more
stable/faster over time.

- Cham

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Dan Halperin <dh...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Mingmin Xu <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Big +1

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Status of our CI tools

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Travis is useless and our Jenkins is good IMHO !

Thanks.
Regards
JB

--