Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/29 13:11:04 UTC

Failed to report status for x minutes

Hi all,

We've been running into this problem a lot recently on a particular reduce
task. I'm aware that I can work around it by uping the
"mapred.task.timeout".

However, I would like to know what the underlying problem is. How can I
find this out?

Alternatively, can I force a generated hive task to report a status, maybe
just increment a counter?

Cheers,

Krishna

Re: Failed to report status for x minutes

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Two things generally cause this.

1) The Java task does not have sufficient java heap. It pauses often and
because the JVM is paused it does not report status

2) a process like streaming or potentially a UDTF is creating many tuples
or taking a long time to produce a single tuple/row

Hive has some settings that control this. You can simply ignore the
timeouts and let the process continue indefinitely,  But there is no direct
way for a user to "signal progress" like in map reduce. (If streaming you
can send progress)