Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Discovery <wl...@qq.com> on 2016/11/30 01:42:56 UTC

Which version is stable enough for production environment?

Hi Cassandra Experts,

                  We prepare to deploy Cassandra in production env, but we can not confirm which version is stable and recommended, could someone in this mail list give the suggestion? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Discovery
11/30/2016

Re: Which version is stable enough for production environment?

Posted by Brooke Jensen <br...@instaclustr.com>.
Like I said,

test in a lower environment first with your data model to be sure.

*Brooke Jensen*
VP Technical Operations & Customer Services
www.instaclustr.com | support.instaclustr.com
<https://support.instaclustr.com/hc/en-us>

This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Limited (Australia) and
Instaclustr Inc (USA). This email and any attachments may contain
confidential and legally privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, do not copy or disclose its content, but please reply
to this email immediately and highlight the error to the sender and then
immediately delete the message.

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
I didn't mean to criticise you. It was meant as a notice for all of those
who are planning to use MVs.

I already made proposals to solve these issues on the dev list and plan to
test them on our own cluster during the next days. I am currently working
heavily on this as we have big trouble bootstrapping new nodes on our 3.10
cluster - due to these known issues.

JFYI.

> Yes Benjamin, no one said it wouldn't. We're actively backporting things
> as we get time, if you find something you'd like backported raise an issue
> and let us know. We're well aware of the issues affecting MVs, but they
> haven't really been solved anywhere yet.
>
> On 30 November 2016 at 07:54, Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brooke,
>>
>> Just had a quick look on your code and I will promise that your LTS
>> version will have the same issues with MVs as any other version.
>> For details check CASSANDRA-12905 or CASSANDRA-12888.

>>> 2.1 will be end of life soon.
>>>
>>> We have a number of customers running 3.7 in production and it's quite
>>> stable. However you should always test in a lower environment first with
>>> your data model to be sure.
>>>
>>> If you're interested, we have made available a patched version of 3.7
>>> <https://www.instaclustr.com/blog/2016/10/19/patched-cassandra-3-7/>
>>> which backports some key patches from 3.9.
>>> https://github.com/instaclustr/cassandra
>>>

>>> *Brooke Jensen*
>>> VP Technical Operations & Customer Services
>>> www.instaclustr.com | support.instaclustr.com
>>> <https://support.instaclustr.com/hc/en-us>
>>>
>>> This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Limited (Australia)
>>> and Instaclustr Inc (USA). This email and any attachments may contain
>>> confidential and legally privileged information.  If you are not the
>>> intended recipient, do not copy or disclose its content, but please reply
>>> to this email immediately and highlight the error to the sender and then
>>> immediately delete the message.

Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1

Posted by kurt Greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
Hi Brooke,

Posted by Brooke Jensen <br...@instaclustr.com>.
2.1 will be end of life soon.

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
These issues exist since the very first implementation of MVs in *ALL* CS
versions.
If you want to use MVs, you may want to wait until these issues are
officially resolved. For testing or pre-prod, you could checkout
https://github.com/Jaumo/cassandra/commits/CASSANDRA-12905. I have fixed
these issues inofficially and have this version currently running on our
own cluster - but no warranties.

If you don't need MVs, you can for example use the Instaclustr 3.7 LTS
version as announced earlier in this thread.

Posted by Hugo José Pinto <hu...@inovaworks.com>.
All,

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
Thanks. I left some comments.

Posted by Harikrishnan Pillai <HP...@walmartlabs.com>.

[CASSANDRA-12728] Handling partially written hint files ...<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12728>

________________________________

From:  "Harikrishnan Pillai";<HP...@walmartlabs.com>>;
Date:  Wed, Nov 30, 2016 09:57 AM
To:  "user"<us...@cassandra.apache.org>>;

Cassandra 2.1.16

________________________________
                  We prepare to deploy Cassandra in production env, but we can not confirm which version is stable and recommended, could someone in this mail list give the suggestion? Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
Discovery
11/30/2016

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH * www.jaumo.com<http://www.jaumo.com>
Wehrstra?e 46 * 73035 G?ppingen * Germany

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.

Posted by Discovery <wl...@qq.com>.
Thanks for all of your responses, it really helps.

From:  "Harikrishnan Pillai";<HP...@walmartlabs.com>;
Date:  Wed, Nov 30, 2016 10:11 AM
To:  "user"<us...@cassandra.apache.org>;

  From:  "Harikrishnan Pillai";<HP...@walmartlabs.com>;
 Date:  Wed, Nov 30, 2016 09:57 AM
 To:  "user"<us...@cassandra.apache.org>;

Cassandra 2.1.16

From:  "Harikrishnan Pillai";<HP...@walmartlabs.com>;
Date:  Wed, Nov 30, 2016 09:57 AM
To:  "user"<us...@cassandra.apache.org>;

Cassandra 2.1.16

Posted by Discovery <wl...@qq.com>.
Why version 3.x is not recommended?  Thanks.

From:  "Harikrishnan Pillai";<HP...@walmartlabs.com>;
Date:  Wed, Nov 30, 2016 09:57 AM
To:  "user"<us...@cassandra.apache.org>;

Cassandra 2.1.16