Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2015/07/10 10:36:12 UTC

VMWare: network limit on network offering has no affect?

Hi

We are running CP 4.2.1 on VMware and having some questions about the so
called "network throtteling" implementation.

CloudStack (CP) uses the VMware PortGroups to set the "traffic shaping"
settings in vCenter/vSphere to limit the bandwidth on the "Public Network".

I found this wiki entry
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Network+throttling+in+CloudStack.

What we experience is, that even if we set a different limit on a
"network offering" in CP, nothing would be changed on VMwware
PortGroups, the global setting network.throttling.rate is always used.

My expectation would be, that the limit of the existing portgroup would
be adjusted to the value of the network offering or a new portgroup with
the custom value would be created and used.

So in our experience, this is a bug. Or what did we miss?

I didn't have a chance to test it with the latest release.

Thanks for clarification.

Yours
René

Re: VMWare: network limit on network offering has no affect?

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
In order for this to kick in, you have to stop and start the VM.

CloudStack will then check if portgroup with proper rate limit exists
and if does not - create it.