Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2013/06/21 04:11:21 UTC

please follow through to publish doc changes

The problem seems to be getting worse. Some people make
source changes to docs, but then do not follow through
to publish those changes via the CMS. Then other changes
bank up behind the logjam.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html

-David

Re: please follow through to publish doc changes

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
Jake, thank you for taking care of that!

I didn't see anything on the Knox mailing list - should I have?
Can you tell me exactly what was fixed and where?

We will be sure to investigate what went wrong and document the proper
procedure going forward.

Is there anything that is outstanding that is still needed from the Knox
community?

Thanks,

--larry

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> wrote:

> I went ahead and fixed the missing </li> tag Knox had and this should
> resolve the issue you saw David. I also have cleaned up some of the issues
> seen on the voter status page and I just saw that Olivier Lamy committed
> the batchee.xml missing project status page (Thanks Olivier). All changes
> are published and on the incubator website
>
> -Jake
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This continues to be a problem. It is now exacerbated
> > > because someone has made source content errors (knox)
> > > but because people do not bother to try to publish
> > > changes, these errors are not noticed or attended to.
> > >
> > > It is preventing other people from working.
> >
> > Same with podlings.xml.  I don't suppose DeltaSpike is ever going to
> > perform
> > the post-graduation cleanup -- they're going to be getting incubating
> > reporting reminders forever.  Also, somebody's dropped the ball with
> > BatchEE.
> >
> > Marvin Humphrey

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: please follow through to publish doc changes

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
This was apparently caused by me trying to clean up the Knox status.  I
will review the procedures.  I was nievly expecting a svnpubsub to
publish the site and I was wondering why it wasn't.  I see now that I
missed step #9 here
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html
Apologies

On 10/29/13 9:19 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> This continues to be a problem. It is now exacerbated
>> because someone has made source content errors (knox)
>> but because people do not bother to try to publish
>> changes, these errors are not noticed or attended to.
>>
>> It is preventing other people from working.
> Same with podlings.xml.  I don't suppose DeltaSpike is ever going to perform
> the post-graduation cleanup -- they're going to be getting incubating
> reporting reminders forever.  Also, somebody's dropped the ball with BatchEE.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: please follow through to publish doc changes

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Mattmann, Chris A (398J) wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> That's my bad. Having not published the site using the CMS since we
> switched over, I knew I had to read the docs again but hadn't. I
> fully intended to though.

Not only you. It is a common holdup.

There are various routes for editing, as explained at [1].
I take the quick way. With an SVN checkout, i edit the source and
commit, then wait a little, then
https://cms.apache.org/incubator/publish
look at the "diff" (reload if necessary until CMS catches up)
then publish.

I only build locally (via e.g. './build.sh') if i am doing
major edits/additions, or if the CMS is wedged which usually
means that someone has an xml error with their source edits.

The [1] does need some clarifications in that regard.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html

Anyway, i did just now publish the backlog.

-David