Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/07/14 17:29:11 UTC

categorization for a project

Hi,

I wanted to broach the topic of augmenting the POM to allow a project to
categorize itself for the purposes of creating a meaningful index of
projects like can be found at http://java-source.net/.

Putting aside for the moment what the actual categories would be would
something like:

<categories>
  <category>database</category>
  <category>visualization</category>
<categories>

Where a project could specify any number of categories.

Or should we attempt to create/borrow an existing category hierarchy and
try to use that? This is something that I think would be good for 2.0
final as creating an index of contained within a repository I think
would be highly useful.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: categorization for a project

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.net>.
The Trove Software Map has gotten to a point where it changes very
infrequently.
I believe that the last update was to add Haskell as an available language.

/* joakim */

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
+1! People would tag their poms, then you could narrow down your search
by clicking tags available within a sub category. Here is an example of
such a browser:

http://johnvey.com/features/deliciousdirector/

Dan

Matthew Pryor wrote:

>Wouldn't a folksonomy approach to categories be better? I can't imagine any
>'exhaustive' list being right the first time (or the second for that matter
>;-)
>
>Systems like delicious seem to do pretty well with people supplying their
>own tags?
>
>Matthew

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions LLC
http://netzooid.com

RE: categorization for a project

Posted by Matthew Pryor <mp...@agentissoftware.com>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: categorization for a project

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to broach the topic of augmenting the POM to allow a project to
> categorize itself for the purposes of creating a meaningful index of
> projects like can be found at http://java-source.net/.
>
> Putting aside for the moment what the actual categories would be would
> something like:
>
> <categories>
>   <category>database</category>
>   <category>visualization</category>
> <categories>
>
> Where a project could specify any number of categories.
>
> Or should we attempt to create/borrow an existing category hierarchy and
> try to use that? This is something that I think would be good for 2.0
> final as creating an index of contained within a repository I think
> would be highly useful.

Good idea.
I prefer to create a category hierarchy for don't have a lot of similar
categories create by user, but it will be a big work.

Emmanuel