Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Scott <ps...@skycoast.us> on 2012/05/25 02:14:33 UTC

sa-update DNS TXT record not being updated?

I have not seen any new rules via sa-update for a long time. Looking at the source repository it looks like there may have been changes, but they are not getting out to users.

Is someone forgetting to update the DNS TXT record at 2.3.3.updates.spamassassin.org with the correct version number? Or are there just no updates?

--
Paul Scott
pscott@skycoast.us

Re: sa-update DNS TXT record not being updated?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 5/24/2012 8:48 PM, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 05/24, Paul Scott wrote:
>> I have not seen any new rules via sa-update for a long time. Looking at the source repository it looks like there may have been changes, but they are not getting out to users.
> Rule updates are supposed to be generated daily, but it hasn't happened
> since 2012-02-25 due to insufficient masscheck corpora, which is partially
> due to a security bug which is preventing new masscheck contributors (bug
> 6694, but you can't see it due to being a security bug).
>
> It's enough of a problem that an alert about it is automatically posted to
> this list every day.
>
> It's my opinion that it should not be considered a bug and new masscheck
> accounts should be created.
>
> You could sign up for a masscheck account for when they start being created
> again if you want to contribute:
> https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/NightlyMassCheck

Once I get past a few of the hurdles I have in getting my chair work
caught up, approving masscheck is a definite goal.  I think Warren's
worry is legitimate but I think we have to choose candidates well and
move forward.

Regards,
KAM

Re: sa-update DNS TXT record not being updated?

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 05/24, Paul Scott wrote:
> I have not seen any new rules via sa-update for a long time. Looking at the source repository it looks like there may have been changes, but they are not getting out to users.

Rule updates are supposed to be generated daily, but it hasn't happened
since 2012-02-25 due to insufficient masscheck corpora, which is partially
due to a security bug which is preventing new masscheck contributors (bug
6694, but you can't see it due to being a security bug).

It's enough of a problem that an alert about it is automatically posted to
this list every day.

It's my opinion that it should not be considered a bug and new masscheck
accounts should be created.

You could sign up for a masscheck account for when they start being created
again if you want to contribute:
https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/NightlyMassCheck

--
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door. You step
into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing