Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com> on 2006/11/24 06:08:58 UTC

merge with new directory?

Hi all,

I'm trying to merge changes from trunk to a branch that have a new directory
and am not quite sure what to do.  I have a directory thirdparty/lib/jaxb-
2.0.3 which is on trunk and I want to copy (merge) it to mainline as it is
required by some other changes that I have merged in.  Here's what I'm
trying:

C:\1_1\tJunction\thirdparty\lib>svn merge -r 12044:17051
http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib/jaxb-2.0.3
svn: Unable to find repository location for '
http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib/jaxb-2.0.3' in revision 12044

This error message is correct.  There was no jaxb-2.0.3 in revision 12044.
It was added in 16714.

In
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.copychanges.html#svn.branchmerge.copychanges.specific
under
"why not use patches instead" it says that what I'm trying to do is possible
so I'm a little confused by the above.

I could of course do svn merge -r 12044:17051
http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib but that brings in other changes I
don't want.  Any suggestions?

cheers
dim

Re: merge with new directory?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 27, 2006, at 13:32, Dmitri Colebatch wrote:

> On 11/28/06, Bob Hiestand <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem occurs because you are specifying the 'jaxb-2.0.3'
>> directory on the command line, which as you say does not exist in the
>> given revision.  Even if it did, the command you are giving isn't
>> quite right, because it would merge the contents of the changes of
>> that directory into the current directory, which is 'lib' (in other
>> words, things would be displaced up one directory).
>>
>> Try instead just using the corresponding source as your current
>> directory; that is, something like (from the 'lib' directory):
>>
>> svn merge -r 12044:17051 http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib
>>
>> That should retrieve the directory creation as well as other changes
>> to the 'lib' directory and other subdirectories.  Are you trying to
>> avoid pulling in such changes other than the directory creation?
>
> The problem is that there have been other changes to the lib
> directory that I don't want to pull in.  ie other jars directory
> under lib, as well as other directories under lib have been changed/
> added in that range, and I'm not interested in those changes.

How about

svn merge -r 12044:12045 http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib

svn merge -r 12045:17051 http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib/
jaxb-2.0.3

Re: merge with new directory?

Posted by Bob Hiestand <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 11/27/06, Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com> wrote:
> > That should retrieve the directory creation as well as other changes
> > to the 'lib' directory and other subdirectories.  Are you trying to
> > avoid pulling in such changes other than the directory creation?
>

> The problem is that there have been other changes to the lib directory that
> I don't want to pull in.  ie other jars directory under lib, as well as
> other directories under lib have been changed/added in that range, and I'm
> not interested in those changes.
>
> I did try this initially, but there's just way too many other changes for it
> to be handled nicely.

In that case, just use the copy command.  Since you're explicitly
merging piecemeal, I don't see why this would be a problem.

Re: merge with new directory?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com>.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  My comments inline.

Re: merge with new directory?

Posted by Bob Hiestand <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 11/26/06, Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com> wrote:
> After trying a few different things, including a suggestion received off
> list, all to no avail, I'm assuming this isn't possible.
>
> If I'm incorrect, please correct me.

Happily, I think I can.

> > I'm trying to merge changes from trunk to a branch that have a new
> directory and am not quite sure what to do.  I have a directory
> thirdparty/lib/jaxb-2.0.3 which is on trunk and I want to copy (merge) it to
> mainline as it is required by some other changes that I have merged in.
> Here's what I'm trying:
> >
> > C:\1_1\tJunction\thirdparty\lib>svn merge -r 12044:17051
> http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib/jaxb-2.0.3
> > svn: Unable to find repository location for '
> http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib/jaxb-2.0.3 ' in
> revision 12044

The problem occurs because you are specifying the 'jaxb-2.0.3'
directory on the command line, which as you say does not exist in the
given revision.  Even if it did, the command you are giving isn't
quite right, because it would merge the contents of the changes of
that directory into the current directory, which is 'lib' (in other
words, things would be displaced up one directory).

Try instead just using the corresponding source as your current
directory; that is, something like (from the 'lib' directory):

svn merge -r 12044:17051 http://svn/tJunction/trunk/thirdparty/lib

That should retrieve the directory creation as well as other changes
to the 'lib' directory and other subdirectories.  Are you trying to
avoid pulling in such changes other than the directory creation?

Thank you,

Bob

Re: merge with new directory?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@colebatch.com>.