Posted to general@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/08/06 02:19:53 UTC

[ANN] James v2.2.0a9 Test Build

The James v2.2.0a9 test build is available.  PLEASE NOTE A NEW URL FOR
DOWNLOADING!  The URL for all test builds is
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/james-server/test-build/.

Change in this test build from James v2.2.0a8 include:

  Adding mail attributes support.

  Corrected file protocol URL, which fixes a classloader problem with Sun
JRE 1.4.2.

  Migrated to use Jakarta Commons DBCP (Mordred is still available, but
deprecated)

  Updated JavaMail to v1.3.1

  New Matchers:
    SMTPAuthSuccessful
    SMTPAuthUserIs
    HasMailAttribute

  New Mailets:
    RemoveAllMailAttributes
    RemoveMailAttribute
    SetMailAttribute

The Wiki, http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV2/Plans, has a
complete list of changes.

Please test and report any problems, anomalies, performance changes (good or
bad), etc.

	--- Noel

RE: [ANN] James v2.2.0a9 Test Build

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
If you are writing mailets your mailet or matcher can set attributes on a
message which will be available for other mailets/matchers to read.

Re: handling different mime types

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Satish wrote:
> Though this may not be completely related to JAMES, but it's related to
> handling emails, so I'm posting it here with a hope that someone would
> give me a solution.
>
> I'm trying to read emails through a java application. Plain text emails
> are being read correctly, but HTML mails are throwing exceptions.
>
> How to convert HTML emails to plain text emails through java code? Can
> somebody please give a clue?

Satish,

I would recommend you post to javamail@sun.com.  Bill Shannon (sun
employee) answers questions on that list pretty quickly and can help you
sort out JavaMail library issues.

I don't see anything wrong with your approach, but there isn't much
information here.  When you post to javamail@sun.com, I would be sure to
include the library version, the error message (ideally the stack
trace), and perhaps some sample code.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

handling different mime types

Posted by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org>.
Thank you, it helped a lot.

Marco

Re: Cannot make HasHeader or SubjectStartsWith work

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I get your point but I am not trying to remove footers. What I am trying to
do is to only add the footer to the first mail of each thread by only adding
footers to mails without the subject prefix ("[mylist]") and without a "Re:"
string in the beginning of the subject. I believe that the SubjectStartsWith
matcher should be able to do that but in the example that I included in my
last mail the SubjectStartsWith matcher does not recognize neither subject
prefix nor "Re:".
I am not discussing if lists should keep adding footers or not. I merely
want to know if it is possible to detect the subject prefix or "Re:" of
mails.
- Marc
Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Marc,

> what about the SubjectStartsWith matcher?

Frankly, I didn't look at it.  There is no guarantee that the presence of a
tag in the subject has any implication for the body content.  For example, I

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
> Are you saying that when someone replies, the HasFooter header isn't
> preserved?  Yes, that makes sense.  The reply isn't the same message.
> Imagine if it were a spam indicator, and replies had the same spam value
as
> the original.  :-)

I see what you mean but what about the SubjectStartsWith matcher? Shouldn't
I be able to recognize the "Re:" of the subject line? I have tried with the
processors below but SubjectStartsWith doesn't seem to recognize neither
"Re:" nor the subject prefix "[mylist]".

      <processor name="transport">
        <mailet match="RecipientIs=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> mylist-processor </processor>
         </mailet>
         </processor>

      <processor name="mylist-processor">
         <mailet match="SubjectStartsWith=[mylist]" class="ToProcessor">
            <processor> mylist-processor-hasfooter </processor>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="SubjectStartsWith=Re:" class="ToProcessor">
            <processor> mylist-processor-hasfooter </processor>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="All" class="AddFooter">
           <text>
Footer...
           </text>
            </mailet>
         <mailet match="CommandForListserv=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="AvalonListservManager">
          <repositoryName>mylist</repositoryName>
          </mailet>
         <mailet match="RecipientIs=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="AvalonListserv">
            <membersonly> true </membersonly>
             <attachmentsallowed> true </attachmentsallowed>
             <replytolist> true </replytolist>
             <repositoryName>mylist</repositoryName>
             <subjectprefix xml:space="preserve">[mylist] </subjectprefix>
           </mailet>
      </processor>

      <processor name="mylist-processor-hasfooter">
        <mailet match="CommandForListserv=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="AvalonListservManager">
           <repositoryName>mylist</repositoryName>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="RecipientIs=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="AvalonListserv">
             <membersonly> true </membersonly>
             <attachmentsallowed> true </attachmentsallowed>
             <replytolist> true </replytolist>
             <repositoryName>mylist</repositoryName>
             <subjectprefix xml:space="preserve">[mylist] </subjectprefix>
         </mailet>
      </processor>

Sincerely,
Marc

RE: Cannot make HasHeader or SubjectStartsWith work

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> it seems that the added header is lost in the reply to a mail with the
header

Are you saying that when someone replies, the HasFooter header isn't
preserved?  Yes, that makes sense.  The reply isn't the same message.
Imagine if it were a spam indicator, and replies had the same spam value as
the original.  :-)

If you look at messages from most mailing lists, they keep appending
footers.  You would have to parse the message to remove the footer, anyway,
so that's the way to go.

	--- Noel

Cannot make HasHeader or SubjectStartsWith work

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
Hi,

I am trying to prevent multible footers in my maillists using either
AddHeader + HasHeader or SubjectStartsWith but neither solution seem to
work. Can anybody help me out?

AddHeader + Has Header solution (it seems that the added header is lost in
the reply to a mail with the header):

      <processor name="transport">
         <mailet match="RecipientIs=mylist@deoliveira.dk"
class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> mylist-processor </processor>
         </mailet>
      </processor>

      <processor name="mylist-processor">
         <mailet match="HasHeader=HasFooter" class="ToProcessor">
           <processor> mylist-processor-hasfooter </processor>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="All" class="AddFooter">
           <text>
Footer...
           </text>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="All" class="AddHeader">
            <name>HasFooter</name>
            <value>Y</value>
[...]

SubjectStartsWith solution (it seems that the subject prefix "[mylist]" or
"Re:" are not recognized by SubjectStartsWith):

      <processor name="transport">
(same as previous example)
[...]

Marc de Oliveira

RE: [ANN] James v2.2.0a9 Test Build