Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com> on 2011/12/21 21:19:38 UTC

Raw RegionScanner?

Question:

I have a M/R job which needs to scan HBase table in a most efficient way (as fast as possible)

1. Data locality matters. Each map task must connect to local RS and fetch ONLY data which are local to this particular node.
2. Order of rows does nor matters, actually - only requirement is : data is between startRow, endRow

Taking into account that with some new patches to HDFS we can get direct access to local FS, ideally I see this as following:

A. Map Task open scanner to HTable REGION which collocates on the same node physically
B. Data flow bypasses DN entirely and we can read directly from local FS or from OS page cache
C. We do not do any ordering during scan, which imposes additional overhead.

The question is: can I do this? All? or at least, partially?

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com