Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/27 17:02:20 UTC

UI vs. API vs. ESME server (was: Please take a look at)

It sounds like the project has been going down the road of decoupling the UI
from the backend for a while, resulting in a situation where we are pretty
close to having the ability to use a generic UI took like Atlas to build the
canonical front-end for ESME.
I assume that the interaction between the Atlas-built front-end and the ESME
server would be based on either the existing public API or a private API.
I'm not sure if this is the case, but maybe David can clarify.

Would it be of interest to the group to pursue a course of action in which
the ESME UI interacts only with publicly defined API methods (with the
possible exception of authentication)? This might help drive the evolution
of the API. It could also make it easier to have interchangeable UIs, so we
don't end up in UI limbo whenever a major change to the UI is proposed and
so that enterprise implementors can have an easier time deploying
custom(ized) UIs.

I'm going to start working on an ESME wrapper using YQL that will call the
API pretty soon now, so hopefully that will help drive the API development a
bit as well, but I figure the more people developing against the API the
better.

Ethan

Re: UI vs. API vs. ESME server (was: Please take a look at)

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me too.
I still think it is important that we finish the web UI we are
currently working on, so that we will have one UI "out of the box".

/Anne

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
Ethan,

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
>> I wasn't aware we already had calls for conversations, actions and pools
>

> There should be calls for conversations and actions.  Pools are new, so
> there may not be calls for those.

The RESTful API calls for adding a pool, adding a user to a pool and
sending a message to a pool were added even before the WebUI. Then
while I improved the UI, the RESTful API got a bit behind, so while I
added ways to list the pools, I haven't yet added a method to list
pools for the RESTful API. It's trivial to implement, so I can add it
during the next days.

I think currently the big differentiator is authentication. It's not
easy to use OpenID from a desktop client so we need the tokens.

Vassil

Re: UI vs. API vs. ESME server (was: Please take a look at)

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
thanks

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mrinal Wadhwa <mr...@gmail.com>.
David,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hey David,

I don't think anything is missing for the YQL client, but I have the feeling
that as more people start developing on top of the API directly we'll start
to see ways to improve it, be that to make it more RESTful as was discussed
previously, or something else we haven't thought of yet. I'm just hopeful
that use will drive development :-)
Ethan

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears@gmail.com

Posted by David Pollak <fe...@gmail.com>.