Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by dasd asda <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/08 01:46:12 UTC

Major compliance issue yet no progress on minor bug

It seems like SQLExceptions raised by Derby are not
serializable. Following is the error I get:

java.io.NotSerializableException:
org.apache.derby.client.net.NetSqlca
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1075)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:1369)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:1341)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:1284)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:1073)
	at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:291)

Considering that java.sql.SQLException implements
java.io.Serializable, I would say this is a basic spec
compliance issue and hence should be high on your
radar. Yet, there is no progress on bug DERBY-790. I
am sure quite a few are running into this issue.
Please fastrack the resolution to this bug.

Thanks

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Major compliance issue yet no progress on minor bug

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> dasd asda wrote:
>
>> there is no progress on bug DERBY-790. I
>> am sure quite a few are running into this issue.
>> Please fastrack the resolution to this bug.

    *  What is Apache not about?
          o To [...] demand someone else to fix your bugs.

From:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Understand+How+Development+Works+at+Apache
http://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#what-is-apache-NOT-about

> Regardless of whether an issue is assigned or not, if you need the fix
> you should feel free to go ahead and submit a patch.  Derby is an open
> source project so we rely on folks who need functionality to jump in and
> provide it themselves.   It is great because you don't have to wait for
> anybody, you can just fix it!  A lot of people have worked hard to
> refine our  doc on the Wiki and elsewhere to make this easy.   Please
> take a look at:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=DerbyDev

Best starting link is:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev

+1 to Kathey's ideas. Please join the community and help get this bug fixed.

Thanks,
Dan.

Re: Major compliance issue yet no progress on minor bug

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
dasd asda wrote:

>there is no progress on bug DERBY-790. I
>am sure quite a few are running into this issue.
>Please fastrack the resolution to this bug.

Hello dasd,

Thank you for bringing this issue onto the community radar.  DERBY-790
is assigned but I think perhaps inactive at this time.  I am cc'ing the
assigned developer directly so he can comment on whether that is the
case.  I am also copying the original filer of the bug who indicated
that this was also a blocker in case they want to take action as well.

Regardless of whether an issue is assigned or not, if you need the fix
you should feel free to go ahead and submit a patch.  Derby is an open
source project so we rely on folks who need functionality to jump in and
provide it themselves.   It is great because you don't have to wait for
anybody, you can just fix it!  A lot of people have worked hard to
refine our  doc on the Wiki and elsewhere to make this easy.   Please
take a look at:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=DerbyDev

If you don't want to make the change yourself,  there are a few other
options to move the issue along.

1) Add a reproducible case to DERBY-790.   Having a stand-alone,
working,  java reproduction makes issues much more attractive to
developers picking up bugs.
2) Vote for the issue  in Jira so it shows up on the popular issues.
DERBY-790 right now has 1 vote.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-790.
3) Do something  for the community that will help in a general sense in
issue prioritization and throughput.  For instance,  you could start a
general discussion about how to address issues that have been assigned
for a long time but are not active.
4) Buy paid support. Some companies such as Sun and IBM offer paid
support options for their own packaging of Derby.  You could try buying
support, but of course those support contracts never guarantee they will
fix your bug #:)

Hope this helps.

Kathey