Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ivan Siviero <iv...@concept.it> on 2001/03/26 11:41:49 UTC

Re: tag

When you want to display an internationalized message on a web page you can
write the tag

<bean:message key="message.key">

In the ApplicationResources.properties you specify the following line

message.key=this is my message

If you want a German translation you define an
ApplicationResources_de.properties which contains the following

message.key=this is my german message

The <bean:message> tag normally looks for a locale in the session under the
attribute (Action.LOCALE_KEY).
So to switch the language you just have to set your locale with the
following line:

request.getSession().setAttribute(Action.LOCALE_KEY, yourLocale);
you can either do the following when implementing the perform() method of an
action

setLocale(request, locale);

if you want to use another locale from the bean message tag you just have to
specify this with the locale property:

<bean:message key="message.key" locale="localeBean"/>

the above line supposes a locale object stored in the session under the key
"localeBean" so the <bean:message> will look for a key "message.key" under
the ApplicationResources.properties matching that locale.

Now let's suppose you want to specify your localized message into a
different .properties file.
You can do this with the bundle parameter.

<bean:message bundle="myBundle" key="message.key" locale="localeBean"/>

will look for the key "message.key" in the bundle stored under the bean
named "myBundle" for a locale stored under the bean named "localeBean".
The bean named "myBundle" is a MessageResource object.
you have to add it to the ServletContext with the following lines (let's
suppose you are coding a startup Servlet):
MessageResources myResources =
MessageResourcesFactory.createFactory().createResources("resourceFilename");

this.getServletContext().setAttribute("myBundle", myResources );

This works quite fine for me.
Hope this helps
Ivan.