Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Mete Kural <me...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2004/02/27 15:56:54 UTC

JSR-168 port of phpBB Forums, anyone interested?

Hello All,

Would anybody be interested in a JSR-168 port of the famous phpBB forums. JBoss has half of the solution, a port of phpBB to J2EE, which is called Forums on JBoss and I was trying to convince the lead developer to port if further to JSR-168 so that it can be deployed on JSR-168 compliant portal servers. At the moment he thinks that JSR-168 simply not powerful enough as an interface for a complicated forums application such as phpBB. I disagree but I don't have the eloquence to explain this to him. Maybe those of you who are more knowledgable of JSR-168 can give him reasons that JSR-168 is indeed capable of a forums application interface. Quoting him:

"-a portlet in not allowed to modify the stylesheet, so that would means to ditch the BB themes which require custom CSS fragments ?
-a portlet cannot redirect page
In my mind portlets are very limited and are suitable for simple stuff, a forum is such an other beast."

If you have any responses to these claims, please make a post on this forum where the discussion is taking place:

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=46091

Thank you,
Mete

Re: JSR-168 port of phpBB Forums, anyone interested?

Posted by niksa_os <ni...@hotmail.com>.
I think that Java version of phpBB exist. I was read somewhere about it and
I think it's open source. I can't find it now, try google.
So, maybe you can contact these people and agree about portlet extension.

Can you use, and extend, JBoss solution (Forums)? What they (JBoss) said?