Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/14 18:32:53 UTC

Gson upgrade plan

Hi!

There have been several issues [1,2] reported from users of Spring
Boot 1.4 that showed that jclouds is not compatible with Gson >= 2.6,
so it is time to consider upgrading, hopefully for jclouds 2.0.
Upgrading is not possible right now because our bundles rely on
packages that are no longer exported in the newer versions, and that
breaks jclouds in OSGi environments.

We can workaround that, but Gson also presents some
backwards-incompatible changes in those internal packages. If we
upgrade, we will be relying on the fact that downstream users
shouldn't be using those "internal" packages, as their code will
break.

Is it fair to warn users that we'll be upgrading Gson and that they
shouldn't be using the classes in the "internal" packages if they want
their code to be compatible? I think it makes sense, and gives us a
(someway) smooth upgrade path.

Thoughts?

I.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-1160