Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by vrindavda <vr...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/09 06:28:06 UTC

Solr licensing for commercial product.

Hello,

Please let me know what all things do I need to consider for licensing
before shipping solr with commercial product.

How will Solr know that what client is using it.

Thank you,
Vrinda Davda

Re: Solr licensing for commercial product.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/9/2017 5:50 AM, vrindavda wrote:
> One more question. I found below snippet in license file. Do I need to
> mention my product owner details in highlighted section?
>
>   APPENDIX: How to apply the Apache License to your work.

Those requirements only come into play if you want YOUR software
licensed under the Apache license.

You said you wanted to use Solr in a commercial product.  Most
commercial software will NOT have an open source license.

I strongly recommend that you get your company's lawyer involved when
you are working out how your own software will be licensed.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr licensing for commercial product.

Posted by vrindavda <vr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn,

One more question. I found below snippet in license file. Do I need to
mention my product owner details in highlighted section?

  APPENDIX: How to apply the Apache License to your work.

      To apply the Apache License to your work, attach the following
      boilerplate notice, with the fields enclosed by brackets "[]"
      replaced with your own identifying information. (Don't include
      the brackets!)  The text should be enclosed in the appropriate
      comment syntax for the file format. We also recommend that a
      file or class name and description of purpose be included on the
      same "printed page" as the copyright notice for easier
      identification within third-party archives.

*   Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]*

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.

Re: Solr licensing for commercial product.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/9/2017 12:28 AM, vrindavda wrote:
> Please let me know what all things do I need to consider for licensing
> before shipping solr with commercial product.
>
> How will Solr know that what client is using it.

There are essentially no restrictions for using Solr in a commercial
product.  Solr is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license, which is one of
the most permissive open source licenses around.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html

Solr will NOT know what client is using it, unless you provide that
information in requests from the client and modify Solr to recognize
that information.  As shipped from Apache, Solr has absolutely no
restrictions on which clients are allowed access.  That kind of
restriction would go against open source ideals.  You can enable certain
kinds of access restrictions, like authentication, as long as the client
you're using supports what you enable.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr licensing for commercial product.

Posted by Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>.
This was discussed here just a few weeks ago. See the archives. If I was at my desk I would send you a link. Cheers -- Rick