Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/01 12:26:02 UTC

Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Welcome on board, Kai!

I suggest we invite Kai to become a committer of the project and work out a
plan to incorporate the contribution.

I do, however, have some concerns regarding the name of the sub project.
Though Apache Kerberos might sound logical, there might be legal issues
regarding using Kerberos in the name of both the sub project and the
product. Kerberos is the product of the organisation with the same name (
www.kerberos.org).

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks for your confirm. It's great to go in the new way, in better collaboration.

Will follow up and update in the following days. Note I will be in a long trip so it may be slow in 3 days.

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
No problem. I will get that after I'm in office.

Regards,
Kai

> - you also have to grant the code to the ASF, which means you need to
> fill a ICLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt) and get your
> compnay fill a CCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt)
> [Kai] I have signed a ICLA (for Hadoop contribution). For my company, as our organization in the company (Intel) has already adopted the Apache open source working model so generally when anyone of us in the organization would work on an Apache project, it should be fine. So I guess CCLA step can also be saved (it's probably already done), as we (Intel) has already so many contributions in Apache particularly in Hadoop space.

I'm afraid we need to require a CCLA extension, as the one you are mentionning - in which your name is lsted - is for Hadoop. We might need that Directory is mentionned in the CCLA.

Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
On 01/02/2015 06:40 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 01/02/2015 01:23 PM, Zheng, Kai wrote:
>> > Could we suggest any better? Thanks.
> I'm bad in suggesting names, but here I try:
>
> Apache Fluffy (see http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Fluffy)
> Apache Hound (but Apache Bloodhound already exists)
> Apache Dog
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

We're talking a kerberos server right?  HOw about:

Apache Vault
Apache Lockbox
Apache Safe
Apache Padlock

?

Re: Hoax renaming was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
My apologies,

Even the auto-completer is playing tricks on me regarding Haox.

vanaf mijn iPad

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/01/15 16:06, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2015 01:23 PM, Zheng, Kai wrote:
>>> Could we suggest any better? Thanks.
>> I'm bad in suggesting names, but here I try:
>>
>> Apache Fluffy (see http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Fluffy)
>> Apache Hound (but Apache Bloodhound already exists)
>> Apache Dog
>>
>> Apache Kerby? (like a pet dog's name)
> P.S:- I wanted to call my dog 'kerby' right after starting work on kerberos
> client :)

Kerby !! What an excellent suggestion !

Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Emmanuel,

>> hoax and haox are quite simular
Yes right, as most simpler names (only 4 chars) do.

>> hoax and haox are quite simular, and you can be sure that if we select apache haox as the project name, people will try to find apache hoax...
Googling "apache hoax" finds the following, not relevant and not in Apache yet, though.
https://www.npmjs.com/package/hoax

>> Is haox stands for something, or is it just an acronym that means nothing ?
Yes it does. Thanks for asking. Haox was from my two boys' given names, "Hao" and "Xiang", as some kinds of compensation for not being able to accompany them in my spare time when have to work on the project.

Could we suggest any better? Thanks.

Regards,
Kai

> Regarding the project name, since we're going to apply for the git repo, I'm wondering if we could sort it out first, to avoid further change later if possible.

Yes, that a smart suggestion.

We wcould very well start with haox, except that it's likely to confuse people : hoax and haox are quite simular, and you can be sure that if we select apache haox as the project name, people will try to find apache hoax...

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Le 01/01/15 12:26, Pierre Smits a écrit :
> Welcome on board, Kai!
>
> I suggest we invite Kai to become a committer of the project and work
> out a plan to incorporate the contribution.

Discussion and vote about adding a new committer is always done on the private mailing list :-)

> I do, however, have some concerns regarding the name of the sub project.
> Though Apache Kerberos might sound logical, there might be legal
> issues regarding using Kerberos in the name of both the sub project
> and the product. Kerberos is the product of the organisation with the
> same name ( www.kerberos.org).

yes, Apache Kerberos Server is not likely to be a suitable name for the project...

Re: Result was : Re: [Vote] Accept Kai Sheng contribution (Haox) as a sub-project

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.