Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2011/05/16 18:36:50 UTC

Apache project guidelines docs += independence?

A number of different issues recently about commercial influence in our
projects have had me thinking about the importance that Apache projects
are managed independently.  Since this isn't explicitly stated in the
obvious places, I wrote a little essay for my personal blog:

http://communityovercode.com/2011/05/apache-projects-are-independent/

Comments?  I think as the ASF grows up, and as some of our projects are
on the way to scoring mega stardom, it's important to ensure both that
our projects can continue to manage themselves independently, but also
to *explain* to the world that this is important to us, and why.

Do people like this?  Where would be a good place to put it in /dev or
the community site as a requirement for Apache projects?  I think it's
clear that the board (past, present, and future) will expect projects to
be managed independently, but it's not clear that we've done a good
enough job of explaining this yet.

- Shane

Re: Apache project guidelines docs += independence?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
There are some minor English language issues, like agreement in
number. Sean, do you want edits?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita
> ...I think there is a typo in http://community.apache.org/. Under "Event organisers and speakers", there is a "[...] will fined our speakers section useful."...

Fixed, thanks!
-Bertrand

Re: Apache project guidelines docs += independence?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 18 May 2011, at 00:53, "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I think there is a typo in http://community.apache.org/. Under "Event organisers and speakers", there is a "[...] will fined our speakers section useful.".

Thanks. I see Bertrand has already fixed it for us.

> I'm new to Apache community and liked the new structure of the site :)

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Any further input, suggestions, patches etc.  are very welcome.

Ross

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
Hi Ross,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.