Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 02:01:44 UTC

a couple of minor problems in gcc builds

There are a couple of minor issues in our gcc builds (both Linux and
Solaris). AFAICT, neither of them appears to be causing any build
failures but they seem more than cosmetic.

First, we appear to be using the wrong option(s) in the build_stdcxx
script:

-- Setting up Solaris GNU binutils 2.17 --uname: illegal option -- o
usage:	uname [-snrvmapiX]
	uname [-S system_name]
./build_stdcxx: line 22: ((: Cygwin == : syntax error: operand expected
(error token is " ")

Second, we get the error below from the first invocation of make:

### gmake builddir BUILDMODE=pthreads,shared,optimized, CONFIG=gcc.config
/bin/sh: cho: command not found
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/longsize': Operation not permitted

I suspect the second problem is fallout from my change 523520 (see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=523520) and I plan
to work on fixing it.

I'm not sure what's behind the first one. Andrew, can you take a look
at it when you have a chance?

Martin

Re: a couple of minor problems in gcc builds

Posted by Martin Sebor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Andrew Black wrote:
> The first artifact is in the build_stdcxx script.  It's the conditional
> that's being used to determine if we're building with cygwin or not.  I
> need to do some more work in this area anyways, so that we can get
> cygwin builds working.

Okay.

As for options and standard utilities, it's good to assume no more than
UNIX95 unless you know you're on a more capable system (such as UNIX98
AKA SUSV2, or SUSV3). You can use the getconf command to portably
determine which version of POSIX a system implements (via getconf
_POSIX_VERSION).

You may find these links helpful:
   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/uname.html
   http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/uname.html

Martin

Posted by Andrew Black <ab...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> There are a couple of minor issues in our gcc builds (both Linux and
> Solaris). AFAICT, neither of them appears to be causing any build
> failures but they seem more than cosmetic.
[...]
> Second, we get the error below from the first invocation of make:
>
> ### gmake builddir BUILDMODE=pthreads,shared,optimized, CONFIG=gcc.config
> /bin/sh: cho: command not found
> rm: cannot remove `/tmp/longsize': Operation not permitted
>
> I suspect the second problem is fallout from my change 523520 (see
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=523520) and I plan
> to work on fixing it.

FYI: This change should fix the problem above (gcc builds
from last night appear to confirm it):

Martin